Like A Fist In A Bucket Of Water

I usually don’t do this, at least, the past 700 blogs I have written have never been a look into my week in hindsight. But this week seems to demand that type of writing, or at least, maybe my scorching heart.

One very important realization came to mind for me today when I was thinking about everything that has happened in the past 7 days.

When you spend your life trying to be a rock, you end realizing that you should actually be like water.

I realized that the most successful people in this world, the most adaptable people, are not made of concrete or iron or steel…because with enough force those can be broken – it’s the people who are like water that continue down the path with grace.

Thick skin can be penetrated.

1517426_orig

If you are a person who survives on peoples compliments you will die from their criticisms. That reminds me of someone who is ever shapeshifting to please the people around them. The middle ground, I thought, was to have this exterior that was impenetrable to things that people would say or do. I found out that this approach really doesn’t work. Like I said before, I spent most of my life trying to harden up to protect the things that were inside of me. It looks like we are having a pretty honest moment here.

But this idea about water really stuck with me. Then I went digging and found the famous Bruce Lee quote about being like water and that really got me thinking.

It made me think of the situation I was in earlier this week. If you are a bucket of water, someone might stick their fist in to punch a hole in you, but as soon as they take it out the water flows right back into place. Sure the level raised a bit. There may be a few drips of water gone here or there…but in the end, no hole.

There are days and sometimes weeks when I really wonder when the next thing I am going to learn will be. Then…days like today hit. These are the days I love. Not because everything changed, but because I was given a little nugget in which I could send myself down a better direction.

In the past, I was easily offended by those who forgot about me, didn’t respond, or mistreated me. That was my “thick skin” or what I thought was thick skin, being cracked at left and right. But now, I realize, I don’t have to have thick skin at all. I have to adapt and adjust as I go…sometimes completely in the moment.

I have to be like water, so when I need to crash I can, and when I need to flow…I will.

• Pink Ninjabi
    July 27, 2014 at 11:52 pm

Amazing posts as always! This was a very timely reminder as I lost my job due to mistreatment and this really helped me through this depressing time. Thank you sooo much. BTW – been wanting to like and comment more on your past posts but perhaps your WP blog settings only allow it if visiting the external site? Anyhow, just wanted to say I’m still avidly reading and retweeting!

• thebettermanproject
      October 6, 2014 at 3:54 pm

Oh man I am sorry to hear that! But I am very glad this post helped you get through! Also to answer your question about wordpress, I have moved over to .org instead of .com and the comments should be up!

P.S. Please do me a huge favor and subscribe! http://btrman.me/1uSFjaq Thank you!

• Rajiv
    July 28, 2014 at 1:28 am

So true.. I especially like what Bruce Lee says

• joseph elon lillie
    July 28, 2014 at 4:29 am

A good word. The truth is “blessed are the flexible for they will never be bent out of shape.” John Maxwell

• thebettermanproject
      October 6, 2014 at 3:53 pm

Now that is very true and a great quote from Maxwell – who is definitely one of my favorites.

• songtothesirens
    July 28, 2014 at 6:32 am

To be like water is a very Buddhist idea. Water has no form, no real substance, and always flows back into the whole as opposed to earth, stone, or metal. Water cannot be broken and knows no real limits. As a practicing Buddhist, I strive to be like water everyday. As you said, if you are like water, when you need to flow, you will. Very insightful post; sometimes hindsight is an illuminating thing.

• Nadine Tomlinson
    July 28, 2014 at 7:13 am

Deep, deep, deep! And just what I needed. Thanks for the reminder, Evan. I’ve bookmarked this post for future reference.

• Victoria Kaloss
    July 28, 2014 at 9:05 am

I love those golden nugget moments, too, Evan. Thank you for sharing a wonderful insight.

• purplecactusdesign
    July 28, 2014 at 10:47 am

This has really hit a chord with me and where I am in my life at the moment. Thanks for sharing these words of wisdom

• rumadak
    July 28, 2014 at 6:42 pm

Good advice!

• faceatthewindow
    July 29, 2014 at 2:38 pm

Lovely. I think you really captured something here.

• What can we learn from water? Or how to be like Bruce Lee | 10 for 10
    August 5, 2014 at 5:51 am

[…] If you would like to read the original article that inspired me to write this you can find it here. […]

• Want my book "Two Wolves" for FREE? Join over 4,000 other readers!