Some Valentines Day Revelations & A Whole Lot Of Love

But really…what does it mean to truly love?

When I was younger, I had this very clouded idea of what love was. I thought love was everything I saw in the movies – an overly romantic person who knew exactly what to say and always had to overcome some sort of self-created conflict to get his or her love back. Maybe I had watched a few too many Hugh Grant movies. Nonetheless, I spent my young life loving in a pretty interesting way. The actions of a young confused adolescent manifested themselves in romantic gestures (not a bad thing), conflict (okay maybe a bad thing) and heartbreak (that always sucks). I thought that dating one person after another was the way it should be done. I guess I felt that consistency was what it was all about. Not really the case. I learned my lessons the hard way.

heart, love, valentines day, cupid

Love for me has grown into something much more profound. It’s about being someone’s rock, sometimes making significant sacrifices for the other person, forgiveness, willingness to adapt and adjust over time. But there’s more.

Love is about seeing an imperfect person perfectly.

It’s about not asking them to be anything but exactly who they are. It’s about learning about them every single day and not taking them for granted. And sometimes, love is making the hard decision and putting the heart of another over your own…even if that involves temporary pain.

ernest hemingway, the best people, virtues, discipline
This world can be harsh at times. It can force you into making some very hard decisions. But the thing is, if you live this life with love, you can live with those choices. You can grow from your mistakes and move forward. Don’t be mistaken in thinking that you are out of control of what is going on in your life. Sure there are circumstances that you possibly couldn’t have predicted. But don’t think that you don’t have control over your actions after that event. It has been said many times, life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it.

Love your heart out.

It may break at times. There may be cracks. But you have to love anyways. People will take advantage of you – love anyways. You will get cheated, lied to, hurt – love always. It’s not that you won’t have grounds to shut it down…that’s not the concern. The concern is, if you shut it down, you can become very very cold inside. You heart will beat a little less strong. Believe me, I’ve been there. You have to keep giving the world your best even if it doesn’t give much to you back. You’re making much more of an impact than you think.

If I had to give you one piece of advice on Valentines Day it would be this – make a vow to treat the person in front of you as if they are the most important person in the world. Make them feel special – because they are. Make them feel loved – because even if they aren’t loving you back, they deserve it. Feed them positive energy – because they will most likely pay it forward. Give your best – the world needs it.

Oh, and, clap your hands if you feel like happiness is the truth

• Dee's Dating Diary
    February 14, 2014 at 11:49 am

Wonderful words of wisdom! Today is the perfect day to let your loved one know that he or she is the most important thing to you! Great post!!

• Kate @ Did That Just Happen?
    February 14, 2014 at 12:09 pm

Beautiful post! Loved it!

• Tony Michele
    February 14, 2014 at 12:25 pm

Lovely post as usual. I’ve never been able to comprehend this seeing someone imperfect perfectly quote though. As far as I’m concerned, that just sets you up for failure when the person falters.

Timi Ogunde

Sent from my iPad

• neverending1
    February 14, 2014 at 12:40 pm

Reblogged this on Neverending1's Blog and commented:
    Watch this video, it’ll make you feel better. Enjoy!

• Mariann (lovesierra)
    February 14, 2014 at 2:34 pm

it’s as if you took the thoughts from my head and made them into beautiful words! thank you! I’m clapping!! ๐Ÿ™‚

• theloveculture
    February 14, 2014 at 6:58 pm

Reblogged this on theloveculture.

• Rajiv
    February 15, 2014 at 2:02 am

Excellent!

• cindyhfrench
    February 15, 2014 at 1:29 pm

Evan, how totally right you are about love. You know 1 Corinthians 13 well, I should think! and thanks for following my blog.

• Marky
    February 15, 2014 at 3:36 pm

Thanks for such an awesome post, the music just pumped my day!

• dearvienaa
    February 16, 2014 at 2:35 am

I love how you arrange those words and turn them into inspirational sentence. I enjoy reading your post, I really do. When you post something new, I read them immediately, anywhere, anytime, even when the class is going on.

xo

• paulaacton
    February 17, 2014 at 3:28 am

Lovely post only one bit I sort of disagree with…

Love is about seeing an imperfect person perfectly.

No, love is about seeing every single flaw and accepting them as they are in spite of them, about seeing imperfections but seeing past them, if you view another as perfect that is one hell of a pressure to put them on and you will never recover when they fall from the pedestal as all humans must do at some point.

• thebettermanprojects
      February 17, 2014 at 8:41 am

I think we are saying the same thing. What I mean by seeing someone imperfect perfectly. Is loving their imperfections as if they made the complete person. Which they totally do. Loving the good and bad of someone. We are on the same page ๐Ÿ™‚

• FunLove
    February 20, 2014 at 11:43 pm

Man, so glad I heard this song! Was having an ok but it’s great to get reminded that you can be happy just by… being happy!

Love has so many facets, and one is that we share with a partner. But I think it also brings happiness to your own life and others if you can see everyone with love in your heart (and a smile on your face).

Love!

• Anne Kelly
    February 21, 2014 at 5:18 am

Reblogged this on Loving Better and commented:
    Some good advice, and a great description for my end goal of loving better.

• debschrepper
    December 3, 2014 at 8:16 pm

I wholeheartedly agree. People no longer take time to recognize the beauty within. They are too busy justifying the reasons for which are obvious to all… good post

• Emma
    December 8, 2014 at 9:45 am

Powerful and true. Love is comprehension and bonding. It is feeling special to someone who is special to you. A best friend and a personal critic. Someone who makes you a better person and simply being with them feels like home ๐Ÿ™‚

• lbfalco14
    February 24, 2015 at 12:11 pm

This is absolutely beautiful way to look at things and I agree whole-heartedly.

"raw. electric. a daily shock to the soul."

Join hundreds of thousands ofย dreamers. Sign up for freeย to receive straight fire and motivation into your inbox daily!