The Iron Never Lies

IMG_2639

The iron never lies. There’s something about gripping the bar and pushing yourself. Breaking yourself down to build yourself into something stronger. There’s nothing like it in the world. Unique in its own way. Punishing and rewarding. You set your own weight and it pushes you for more.

But the one thing it does better than anything else is bring out your will.

Your will for a few more. Your will to push through the pain. The vision hits your eyes every single time you look in the mirror.

But I don’t lift for ego. For aesthetic value. For cardio. No. I lift for something far greater. I lift for greatness inside. I lift for the effects. Building confidence. Determination. Pursuit of a goal. Drive. Will. Tenaciousness. Because as soon as I’m done with that session, everything else in the day is subject to my attitude of how I am in the gym. I can tackle anything because I just tackled squatting with 400lbs on my back and struggling to get one more rep despite my body shaking and my mind telling me no.

Nothing else in my day will challenge me as much as that moment when my mind, body, and soul are challenged to their breaking point. And if something does, well, I’ve been there a million times. A thousands of sets. Hundreds of thousands of reps. I live there. In that struggle and in that feeling of failure yet victory.

That’s why I lift. Everything else comes secondary to my soul being ignited.

Join the movement Facebook and  Twitter

• Brandi Roberts
    January 24, 2014 at 1:06 pm

Love it! I don’t lift, but I do go to the gym and now I’m motivated to go more and tackle life with the same attitude. Thanks for sharing =)

• JustJohn
    January 24, 2014 at 6:34 pm

true. btdt. the iron kept me alive during my first divorce. forced me to eat and regain the 30lbs i lost, but as muscle.

• missraychanel84
    January 24, 2014 at 7:04 pm

This is why I loved running.

• bethalyn
    January 24, 2014 at 7:49 pm

I only started lifting a year ago. Now, I can’t imagine life without that bar. Some days, it’s my nemesis, other days, my best friend. But every time I lift, I breathe more calmly, i think more clearly, and the first world troubles of my day go away.

An old friend said to me recently, “I don’t know what changed, but it looks like you finally found your strong.” I’ll take it. Only wish I’d found it sooner.

• Myriad Hues
    January 25, 2014 at 2:22 am

Brilliantly written. Somo-psychic effects of working out. When you push yourself and test your limits physically, you develop strength of mind as a byproduct.

• Pink Ninjabi
    January 26, 2014 at 6:15 pm

Amazing post, a push for better, and more reasons to grip on iron more tightly, thank you.

• guidedmissile
    January 28, 2014 at 3:06 am

Reblogged this on It's how I want it to be and commented:
    To reach limits, that are beyond the borders,.

• guidedmissile
    January 28, 2014 at 3:07 am

Thanks for the post.
    Godspeed.

• kellycameron5512
    January 30, 2014 at 5:28 pm

Nice! Motivational and inspirational!

"raw. electric. a daily shock to the soul."

Join hundreds of thousands of dreamers. Sign up for free to receive straight fire and motivation into your inbox daily!