Perfection Is The Enemy Of Done

Perfection Is The Enemy Of Done

Perfection Is The Enemy Of Done

I remember hearing my teacher tell me this and it has been an invaluable lesson.

“Perfection is the enemy of done.”

That made me think.

Hard.

Often we strive to be perfect and it drives us nuts because we can never achieve it. I think striving to be the absolute best you can possibly be is a great gift that you can give yourself. However, things get a little bit shaky when you start demanding yourself to be perfect.

I mean even think of a Perfect Game in baseball.

It’s not really perfect. Essentially a perfect game would be 9 innings, 3 batters an inning, 3 pitch strikeouts per batter. That would be absolute perfection. And yes I know it’s incredibly hard to throw a perfect game, but still…im making this example to drive a point.

You can be a little bit better, a little bit faster, a bit smarter than you were yesterday.

You can be a little more organized, love a little deeper, and trust me in the long run this pays off. Like I was saying yesterday, you can shape yourself into something that you couldn’t have possibly been before.

I saw this quote the other day that said something like set a goal so big and seemingly impossible for yourself and eventually you will grow into the person that can achieve it.Β This made me think about my own life and what I have been doing. I have set a grand goal, and day by day I am changing and morphing into the person that can achieve it. Because when I started I couldn’t have possibly been the person to achieve it right off the bat. And this is why goals are great. At one end you get to dream and to make anything possible for yourself. And on the other end you get to go through the day to day shaping and restructuring of your life in order to achieve it.

I am a master of goal setting.

I am in rookie ball in regards to making the sacrifices it takes to make those goals happen.

But just because your in rookie ball doesn’t mean you won’t get called up to the majors one day. And I promise you that I plan on pitching some pretty amazing games in this life. Baseball references.

So set a huge ass goal.

Let it scare the shit out of you.

Then take those little baby steps and you will change into something fantastic.

Muhammad Ali Β used to say “I am the greatest” even before he was close to being the best. It works.

• sherayx
    December 17, 2013 at 10:21 am

Reblogged this on SherayxWeblog.

• IdealisticRebel
    December 17, 2013 at 10:27 am

This is a good and thought provoking quote. Hugs, Barbara

• Terry Irving
    December 17, 2013 at 10:46 am

Reblogged this on Hey Sweetheart, Get Me Rewrite!.

• Allan G. Smorra
    December 17, 2013 at 10:58 am

This is very insightful. Someone once told me that, “If you can’t stand criticism, you become a perfectionist.” We know how that turns out, don’t we? Thanks for the gentle reminder and the example in your own life. β€”Allan

• Rami Kantari
    December 17, 2013 at 11:03 am

Reblogged this on Executive Training Dubai.

• genesisandgenius
    December 17, 2013 at 11:15 am

Reblogged this on Genesis + Genius and commented:
    Listen to the man!

• Ryan
    December 17, 2013 at 1:01 pm

so true.
    A friend of mine recently stressed out because she’s seeking for the perfection. In many people, they seems to can’t resist to be perfect person. And this is so bad coz i think it eat you alive.

Ah… it’s been so long not reading your blog and now… i feel so blessed be able to read it again. Thank you.

• Ryan
    December 17, 2013 at 1:03 pm

Reblogged this on Jejak Langkah… and commented:
    Being the perfect one gonna eat you alive – that’s what i’ve always said to myself and friends.
    You can go for the better one or the best you can, but please don’t try to be the perfect one if you can handle the pressure.
    Read this post carefully…

• The Brighter Side of 40
    December 17, 2013 at 2:06 pm

Just knowing you can never be perfect is freeing, knowing you can do things to be a better you is growing. Perfection can not be found here on this earth, no matter how hard you try. great blog.

• The Brighter Side of 40
    December 17, 2013 at 2:06 pm

• adaorauduchukwu
    December 17, 2013 at 2:44 pm

nice!!!!!!!
    visit my blog musingsofahappymortal.wordpress.com

• Shamanistical
    December 17, 2013 at 7:57 pm

Reblogged this on shamanistical.

• davidbaileyalmeida
    December 17, 2013 at 9:08 pm

Perfection is found in the moment. Remember that saying “The present is always perfect.” Since change is a constant . . . perfection is also found in the change. What this should mean to us is be happy with the person you are in every moment.

• AnnoyingBobby
    December 17, 2013 at 10:40 pm

Reblogged this on AnnoyingBobby.

• bluebeadpublications
    December 18, 2013 at 7:53 am

He looks good.

• Rick@RomanticHusbands.com
    December 18, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Sheryl Sandberg said it well β€” ‘Done is better than perfect.’ .

• Established Mayhem
    December 18, 2013 at 2:06 pm

Reblogged this on Established Mayhem Clothing and commented:
    Great piece on pursuit of perfection

• Laila Shares
    January 2, 2014 at 2:34 am

Reblogged this on Laila Shares and commented:
    Wow, what a brilliant thought. I think i should start being more realistic than perfectionist from now on.

• Roy A. Cui
    January 6, 2014 at 6:38 pm

I’m in the process of waking from the Matix after taking the red pill. It has been painfully invigorating, facing the challenges of being awake makes the sleep SO tempting. This piece, as well as your entire blog, keeps my eyes open and courage bolstered. I will share this with my children and anyone else that can benefit from it.

Thank you for this.

• Roy A. Cui
    January 6, 2014 at 6:39 pm

Reblogged this on Roy A. Cui and commented:
    I’m in the process of waking from the Matrix after taking the red pill. It has been painfully invigorating, facing the challenges of being awake makes the sleep SO tempting. This piece, as well as this entire blog, keeps my eyes open and courage bolstered.