Back to the Roots

The world needs better men.

I sit here mashing at the keys in no way a perfect man.

“But I digress. This blog is my 30 day attempt to break all the bad habits I have ever had. Each day, I will go through one thing that I believe that is crucial to my development as a man, and hopefully along the way, you will get something out of it too. I have always wanted to write down the things that matter to me most. Trust me, I’ve been through hell. I can show you vouchers. But there is something very calming about being able to look back on the times when you thought you weren’t going to make it out alive and realize that you did. When I was going through the worst of it, someone once told me “God only gives you as much as you can handle.” This one phrase kept me fighting for the duration no matter how tough it was…because I knew, that this was my test, my challenge, and I had to get through it.”

Those words above were the words that began it all. And here I am, just over 1,000 days of this project in…and I am going to say them again. I sit here mashing at the keys in no way a perfect man.

It is interesting for me to look back on it all. The hours spent at the keyboard. The lessons I have learned. The things I have accomplished. My failures. You might think it would be a blur, but instead, it is all almost crystal clear. If you picked out a post and asked me about it, I would be able to tell you exactly what it was about and what was going on in my life at that time. I’ve always had a visual memory, so going back in time really has never been that difficult for me. However, being able to unravel your mind like a movie reel has its downfalls. Things often come back to haunt you in vivid color.

g9lidWi

In recent times I have looked at this project (and this is dead honesty here – hard to admit this) as a bit of a right. What I mean by right is that it is always going to be there and I can do with it as I please. That really isn’t that attitude that kept me writing, or even helped me start in the first place. I started writing to save my life. Straight and simple. It wasn’t a right, it was a privilege to come and sit down every day and pour my heart out and talk about what I had learned as a developing man. I didn’t take it for granted. Somewhere far far down the line that changed. Not entirely, but there was a little hint in there of “you can take a day off, look at what you have created.”

And yet, there is that battle that goes on inside that urges me to write because I know, like I said before, in no way am I a perfect man. There is a lot to be worked on. A lot. So here I am being vulnerable, one of the first lessons I had come across when I started writing. And here I am looking a bad…and not being scared to. I love this project, I really do, and I am going to start appreciating it more. Because it is not a right. One of my philosophies is to never take anything for granted. That itself came through this project. Yet, I took this project for granted.

So, I am going to challenge myself. I am going back to the beginning. Back to why I started. Maybe I can do it with some better writing, but hell, let’s take it all the way back to its roots.

• NeoLoveSoulChild
    November 29, 2013 at 9:08 pm

It’s not always about what happens….it’s how you respond to it, the response is what matters the most.

• sweetpurerity
    November 29, 2013 at 9:39 pm

What a great challenge for yourself.

• Kevin
    November 29, 2013 at 9:40 pm

If you aren’t growing, you are dying. I do enjoy how you have identified that writing allows you to release yourself and get through life. It isn’t always easy to sit down at the computer and express yourself, to admit your mistakes, to make yourself a better person. Keep up the good work and I’ll keep reading.

• Nikhil Chandra
    November 30, 2013 at 1:17 am

All the best. If you think you can, then you will. And there is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail—should we fall—we will know that we have lived

• andrewperera
    November 30, 2013 at 2:23 am

Wow .. similar situation i face! and i totally agree 😉

• manvsmind
    November 30, 2013 at 4:43 am

The last few posts really spoke to me. I hope one day I’ll be able to write as well as you do. I definitely have trouble expressing myself. Keep it going 🙂

• Rainbow Lightning Woman ⚡
    November 30, 2013 at 5:12 am

It warms me to know there are men cognizant of the many dimensions life has to offer. Thank you.

• theasiandestination
    November 30, 2013 at 5:29 am

I really loved this post, it struck a chord with me. I completely understand what it feels like to be faced with ‘resistance’ everyday and the challenge of wanting to share your story with others whilst simultaneously feeling held back by the fear of being judged. Great post, it reminds me of why I wanted to write a blog in the first place and inspires me to keep on going, being as authentic as possible. We all have a unique story to share, I’m enjoying reading yours!

Blessings for the weekend!

Ana at The Asian Destination

• stephaniedubyna
    November 30, 2013 at 6:35 am

I give you a lot of credit for trying to change yourself. People fear change most of all, and it is through change we experience our greatest growth. You’re already a better man no doubt.

• susielindau
    November 30, 2013 at 8:04 am

Looking for perfection will drive you nuts. Making good choices can be as simple as the reminder to just smile and put out light and love.

• Candy S
    November 30, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Evan, I always enjoy reading your posts. My daughter wants to be a writer and I have recommended you as one to read. I believe that she is discovering that writing is very personal and all writers are different. There is a true spirit in your writing, no matter what you write about, never lose that. 🙂

• healey24
    November 30, 2013 at 3:56 pm

In a world where everyone wants to blame someone else for there problems, you are taking responsibility head on. I love that! Honesty is hard to come by. Self awareness is even more rare. I applaud you 🙂

• Sofia Essen
    November 30, 2013 at 9:47 pm

We can all do better, right? I like to think all of us are works in progress. I’ve made an early New Year’s Resolution. My resolution is to remember to be thankful for every day. In line with this resolution, I’ll be posting a new blog entry about something I’m thankful for every day of December. Pass it on, help your friends and family remember to take a time out and be thankful for the little gifts in life, and spread the holiday cheer! http://fiaessen.wordpress.com/2013/12/01/december-resolution-post-no-1/

• pyrusic
    November 30, 2013 at 11:43 pm

Now I’m interested. Any chance you’ll incorporate an archive into your blog? It took me a few minutes longer than it could have to find your first posts: http://thebettermanprojects.com/author/thebettermanprojects/page/73/

• blondinbrille
    November 30, 2013 at 11:50 pm

I wish you good luck .. but you seem so purposeful as you do this, too. Love reading your posts … so keep on with this

• ritasimsan
    December 1, 2013 at 7:25 am

Reblogged this on Web 2.0 for ESL and commented:
    This is a good one!

• Kim B
    December 1, 2013 at 8:18 am

Reblogged this on Kim's Random Thoughts.

• Eli Pacheco
    December 1, 2013 at 8:37 am

By wanting to improve, you’ve already improved. It’s a simple as a mindful mission, that not only crosses your mind as you awake, but also in every opportunity you face in a day. We’ll fail, we’ll learn, we’ll win, we’ll grow, and the next day, do it all again.

• rosevoc2
    December 1, 2013 at 3:21 pm

Reblogged this on Rosevoc2's Blog and commented:
    Thanks!

• Writing to Freedom
    December 2, 2013 at 7:04 am

Thank you Evan. You inspire me to be a better man, writer and contributor to life. Thanks for your courage and honesty. Brad

• sheldonjoseph
    December 3, 2013 at 4:00 am

Reblogged this on sheldonjoseph.

• "raw. electric. a daily shock to the soul."

Join hundreds of thousands of dreamers. Sign up for free to receive straight fire and motivation into your inbox daily!