What I Wear On My Sleeve

Screen Shot 2013-11-18 at 10.01.21 AM

Relationships can be funny. But there’s one thing I know for sure, and that is a feat in itself – never assume the people around you know exactly how you feel about them. You know those things inside of you that make no sense like 95% of the time…emotions? Yes those ones. You may feel them, but no one else around you has any idea what is going on inside of your head and heart. So after plenty of lessons in this I made a decision to wear my heart on my sleeve. Sure it has some negative side effects, like anything in this world, but people get to see something that they weren’t able to see before – authentic Evan Sanders.

I have said it a few times before, but the most authentic way I can express myself is by writing things down. So that is what I have done a couple times before, which is write everyone letters in my life who mean an incredible amount to me. I feel that there is no better way for me to tell someone how I feel about them than to write it out. I do love telling people to their face, but there are just so many things that get in the way of conversations (those damn emotions) that sometimes everything doesn’t get out properly. So I write…and boy do I write.

So do yourself a favor and write to the people you love in your life. Tell them just how much you care. Tell them why you care. Life can be incredibly fickle sometimes and you never truly know how long people will be around. That’s just the name of the game. And it loves to teach you lessons when you start taking advantage of the gifts you have been given. You are standing on one gigantic rug…and life will rip that thing right out from under you when you start getting arrogant and unappreciative.

Sometimes the rug getting ripped out from underneath you is the best thing that can happen to you. It keeps you grounded. It makes you appreciate what you have. It also gives you a heavy dose of humility. So if I had one piece of advice, it’s to love as hard as you can. Give today everything you have. It’s better to feel worn out at the end of the day from being the best person you possibly could have been than calling in for a mediocre day.

• Ann Catherine
    November 18, 2013 at 10:15 am

You said, “You know those things inside of you that make no sense like 95% of the time…emotions? Yes those ones. You may feel them, but no one else around you has any idea what is going on inside of your head and heart.” –
    What an amazing awareness and wonderful share! If only we could somehow inject that type of awareness into social culture, the world would me a MUCH happier, loving (peaceful) and balanced place! Thanks for the wonderful post and important reminder today. =)

• The Brighter Side of 40
    November 18, 2013 at 10:27 am

Great post. It is hard to tell that someone, when they are gone. When the rug has been pulled away. When the feelings are still lingering, and the person is far gone from your world, can be quite difficult. You write well. You write inspirational things. Thank you for sharing yourself and making a difference.

• Chocolate Covered Race Medals
    November 18, 2013 at 10:33 am

Amazing post…but that’s kind of becoming the norm around these parts 😉

• The Writing Waters Blog
    November 18, 2013 at 11:59 am

Good words for all of us written by I’m sure a good person.

• faerieatthetable
    November 18, 2013 at 12:21 pm

Reblogged this on tothetable.

• reinventionofmama
    November 18, 2013 at 12:23 pm

Beautiful post! I loved it!

• Ardith Laverne
    November 18, 2013 at 2:18 pm

Thanks, Evan. I’ve been thinking about this a lot, and you know… I might just act on it. Overly-emotional self and all.

• healey24
    November 18, 2013 at 2:25 pm

I love this idea, in fact, I wrote my boyfriend a letter a few months into our relationship. He almost had a heart attack when it arrived in the mail. He assumed it was a break up letter and he was afraid to open it. LOL

• darcy_roland
    November 18, 2013 at 2:59 pm

Reblogged this on Swell Time and commented:
    Great advice.

• kristijojedlicki
    November 18, 2013 at 3:17 pm

This really resonated with me, because someone special to me recently told me that he loves when I send him cards in the mail, even though we talk, text, and/or e-mail on a daily basis. In fact, I bought him a Thanksgiving card today and plan to send it to him with a list of all the things about him that I am grateful for.

• rumadak
    November 18, 2013 at 3:28 pm

Such an amazing post!
    Applies to everyone and every relationship…hope it can make some difference in someone’s life and how people treat their relationships these days!

• rumadak
    November 18, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Reblogged this on Ruma Dak's Blog and commented:
    Such An Amazing Post !

• Dan_Dlion
    November 18, 2013 at 3:54 pm

Reblogged this on Outside The Fish Bowl and commented:
    Thinking I might just try this again. I wrote my ex many times during our marriage and several times during our separation when I thought we had some kind of chance at reconciliation. I can be pretty good about telling people how I feel. At the very least….maybe it’s time to write it all out whether I share it or not.

• charibels
    November 18, 2013 at 5:50 pm

Reblogged this on CHA and commented:
    To love as hard as I can can be awfully tedious, but I’d like to go on in this adventure and enjoy it instead. 🙂

• Free_Spirit
    November 18, 2013 at 7:25 pm

So amazingly written, I’m actually putting it into consideration!

• luggnutz13
    November 18, 2013 at 8:05 pm

A little freeing at times as well, not so much gets in the way when you just sit down and get it all out. Nicely done.

• Rajiv
    November 18, 2013 at 8:26 pm

This is an amazing post indeed. The issue is – and I have experienced this a lot – is that most of us weigh what we have to say before we open our mouths. We are used to this. How many of us can handle honest communication?

• lifescompass1
    November 18, 2013 at 8:27 pm

Reblogged this on Life's Compass.

• Awkward Al
    November 19, 2013 at 12:45 am

Reblogged this on Monsters Of My Mind and commented:
    “Sometimes the rug getting ripped out from underneath you is the best thing that can happen to you. It keeps you grounded. It makes you appreciate what you have. It also gives you a heavy dose of humility.”

• Living Life, Minding the Present; Be-ing and Vulnerablilty | Always Lovin' Life
    November 19, 2013 at 1:06 am

[…] holiday season, I am going to take a note from a good man, Evan Sanders at The Better Man Project, and write to my loved ones.  Writing is a much more expressive, and eloquent, method for […]

• Sharon Nyatanga
    November 19, 2013 at 8:56 am

love laugh life, will sure tell the people i love how i feel.

• Sharon Nyatanga
    November 19, 2013 at 8:57 am

Reblogged this on royalesharon and commented:
    Give today everything you have

• Djoo
    November 19, 2013 at 10:06 pm

My neck hurts from nodding too much during this post. Yes, absolutely, yes to everything you have said on this post. I’m going to be writing a few love letters today!

• kathyarevalo
    November 20, 2013 at 4:06 am

Reblogged this on Ever A Surprise.

• laorangeles
    November 20, 2013 at 6:38 pm

Very great words. Inspiring!

• gimmesmiles
    November 21, 2013 at 1:44 am

Wonderful post! 🙂 I’m going to challenge myself to do this since the holiday season is here. But everyone should always be appreciated.

• gimmesmiles
    November 21, 2013 at 1:44 am

Reblogged this on Thoughts and Photographs and commented:
    Inspiring! 🙂

• magmap
    November 24, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Sounds like great minds think alike. Have you read my blogs?

• i’m finding | Back to Canada
    November 26, 2013 at 9:25 pm

[…] Sometimes the rug getting ripped out from underneath you is the best thing that can happen to you. It keeps you grounded. It makes you appreciate what you have. It also gives you a heavy dose of humility. So if I had one piece of advice, it’s to love as hard as you can. Give today everything you have. It’s better to feel worn out at the end of the day from being the best person you possibly could have been than calling in for a mediocre day – via The Better Man Project […]

• "raw. electric. a daily shock to the soul."

Sign up for free to receive straight fire and motivation into your inbox daily!