The Magnolia

In the front yard of my house there is a beautiful magnolia tree that climbs roughly forty feet into the sky. Its branches are naked towards the trunk but as they stretch out they are full of leaves and during the spring, blooming white flowers. It truly is a beautiful tree. I have always loved climbing this tree.

I was probably 16 when I decided for the fun of it to tie a rope around one of the lower branches to make it easier to get up into the thick of it. So I climbed up, tied a rope around a sturdy branch, and climbed back down to test it out. I pulled on it a few times – seemed perfectly fine. The only thing to do next was commit. So up I went.

About halfway up the 10 foot climb the sturdy rope made a funny sound. Riiiiipppp. Down I went. Smack! I fell right onto the ground perfectly flat on my back. The breath was completely knocked out of me. I just laid there…motionless. When I finally gained my breath back, all I could do was groan in pain.

After 10 minutes I finally got back up, grabbed the broken piece of rope that had fallen with me but landed in the shape of a smile, had a few choice words with it and threw it back at the tree in disgust.

c9e5e27dd7989233af468632525c3924

I just stood there looking up at that magnolia…

So I took a deep breath, jumped up, grabbed a branch, pulled myself up and climbed all the way to the top to enjoy the view of the yard.

When you fall, get back up and try again. Persistence will yield you results. Don’t be interested in achieving something. Be committed. Don’t let the fear of failure paralyze you from achieving your dreams. Climb back up that tree no matter what.

Your Life. Your choice. So what do you say?

• monalisajoshi105
    September 12, 2013 at 10:51 pm

How beautifully explained …I really found the part inspiring where you have said that we should not be afraid of the failures…we must keep going …thank you Sir..I read your blogs and find them inspiring and very much life like ๐Ÿ™‚

• thebettermanprojects
      September 15, 2013 at 9:52 pm

WEll thank you very much! I am glad you like them! I try to keep them as much life like as possible. Hope to be hearing from you soon

• Carpenter's Quill
    September 12, 2013 at 11:23 pm

When we are motionless…the world spins madly on. Very uplifting post! Fear can be bitter, but patience yields sweet fruit. Thank you for the read tonight!

• thebettermanprojects
      September 15, 2013 at 9:52 pm

Two awesome quotes you left me in that comment! Thanks

• michd74
    September 13, 2013 at 12:18 am

I just published a post (along the same theme somewhat) and opened my reader before bed. Yours was the first post that caught my interest and you NAILED IT!! Powering off the computer with a light heart and a smile!!

• hadassaab
    September 13, 2013 at 2:19 am

Reblogged this on hadassaab.

• peterp99
    September 13, 2013 at 6:19 am

I like how the picture explains itself. Took me a little bit to get it though.

• Lee
    September 13, 2013 at 6:57 am

That choice you made ( presumably as a child), already showed the kind of person you were. Some may never have climbed it again. Others would have needed time and encouragement to try again.

Lee

• Pulelehua
    September 13, 2013 at 6:59 am

Reblogged this on janey777.

• Chocolate Covered Race Medals
    September 13, 2013 at 8:18 am

I know I have been guilty multiple times in my life of letting the fear of failure keep me from exploring opportunity. Thank you for sharing this, it’s quite inspirational and a great reminder to sometimes wipe the dust off our knees and get back up!

• minerva
    September 13, 2013 at 11:37 pm

Beautiful words, theseโ™ฅ
    And very true, too.

Thank you for sharing your light, and do take care, too. ๐Ÿ™‚
    p.s. And yep, I feel this world needs more beautiful souls of light and love too ~ people who need to keep doing the beautiful work they do. Best wishes!

• A magnolia tree, a rope, commitment, and perseverance | Elle B Reknit
    September 17, 2013 at 2:52 pm

[…] (507) – The Magnolia. […]

• Rita Poynor
    September 30, 2013 at 5:23 am

I think one of the hardest things in life is knowing when to persevere and when to move on.