Hmm…Swiss Cheese?

swiss cheese
(Quick announcement: I have just finished round 2 of The Better Man Project book edits and it will be back out on the shelves very soon. Thank you all for your patience)

The look on people’s faces when I say that I had a soul of Swiss cheese are priceless. “What in the world does cheese have to do with your soul Evan?” Everything.

Deep holes in your soul. I have spent so much time looking back into my past for a few good reasons. I know I advocate staying in the present moment quite often, but I think there is something to be said for really taking a good look at where you have come from and the events that have happened throughout your lifetime. Going back also helps me understand how I really came to where I am at now. Of course, in being a writer I am always looking for new material to work with – and the past almost is an endless supply of stories, memories, and meaningful events. Most of all, it helps me understand how the Swiss cheese holes were created in my heart.

None of us can avoid them. In fact I would argue that it is only when you understand that there is a difference between what you perceived to have happened  and what actually happened that you can start to do something about these holes. They appear because somewhere along the line you get this idea in your head and it keeps getting proved true over and over again. Not that it is actually true, but that you could perceive it to be that way. Yikes. I mean really…yikes. Any idea can infect our mind. It could be positive, but in a world that is plagued by lots of negativity, most of the time the weeds of pessimism grow.

So the holes start to form and as infatuations with substances or material possessions manifest themselves, the holes begin to grow deeper and wider. As we know with all addictions, the more time you spend with something the more your body gets acquainted with it and eventually you need more to satisfy those previous needs. The holes get bigger and they become harder to fill. You know that they are there…but it is easier to fill them with something quick and easy.

The only way to fill these holes is through a deep focus into virtue and character. Sounds funny, but really, it’s true. I’ve been through this…and I am still dealing with a few holes that were developed over many many years. But once you understand that only things like courage, vulnerability, love, passion etc are what matter in this life you can start to go to work on becoming fulfilled. I heard somewhere the other day someone say that in order to grow you must take chances…in order to be happy you must grow…in order to be happy you must be self fulfilled. So in effect we must take chance in order to be happy. Without recognizing the shape and size of that block of cheese within you, you will never become happy with yourself. You may spend a lifetime wondering why this is the case…but if you really look deep down inside, you will see that the answers were always there.

Turn yourself into a block of Provolone. Hole-less.

• stellasung
    April 11, 2013 at 10:03 pm

thanks! I really needed this today. 🙂

• lunasealife
    April 11, 2013 at 10:28 pm

I’ll be a block of Pecorino di Pienza!

I think we start as wholeness/oneness (infinite creative consciousness/spirit/’go(o)d’) and come into human skin suits to play the game of forgetting, separation, fear, suffering, loneliness etc. And at the end we return to that wholeness/oneness.

The holes that are poked in us as we are subject to/conditioned by the pleasure/pain duality of society are part of the game. The satisfaction is in the healing. Being god all the time gets boring. It’s the same as going on a roller coaster or watching a movie. It’s not all that interesting if the hero just stays home, happy and blissed out, for his entire life.

And it’s more fun if you’ve got some holes to fill in.

• ryan
    April 11, 2013 at 10:54 pm

love this…
    thank you.

• rusher11
    April 12, 2013 at 4:52 am

Reblogged this on SavyTrendy and commented:
    looks good.

• Mohamed Ossama
    April 12, 2013 at 6:08 am

Reblogged this on Dawn of Thoughts.

• Sarah K Russell
    April 12, 2013 at 12:04 pm

The holes exist so that your soul can have room to change, adapt and grow. Really nice post- I enjoyed it.

• rtgonza
    April 13, 2013 at 7:55 am

🙂 Please go to http://www.beccslifeforum.wordpress.com to claim your blogging award. The rules and how to claim is under my own inspiring blogging post. Thanks for trying to be a better man, this is appreciated beyond words!

• jeandesanto
    April 14, 2013 at 4:41 am

The best swiss cheese has the biggest holes, you know. Shel Silverstein’s The Missing Piece is all about the journey to fill in the holes. 🙂

I enjoy your words; you have quite a nice brand going. It will be interesting to see where you end up with your journey.

• "raw. electric. a daily shock to the soul."

Sign up for free to receive straight fire and motivation into your inbox daily!