Up at 4am

Yes it’s 4am…and I’m dead awake.

Whatever path you are on right now…take a moment to consider. “What am I considering?” Everything.

There is no way to fully understand where you are traveling, if you don’t know the ground you are walking on. Keep the end goal in sight, but you also have to check in with yourself each and every day to ensure that you are living the words you preach. Love. Passion. Never Quit.

I was just woken up by one of the most significant dreams I have had in a long time…and in that dream, someone spoke to me. And now here I am, writing away. I am about to embark on something that is going to change my life…drastically. It is going to alter the course that I am on in a way that I cannot fully understand, and I have chosen this willingly. However, and this is the however that has injected the need to write in my brain at this hour…am I living, with a full heart during the time that precedes this monumental event. No.

Unconditional Love…defined…is to love somebody with no conditions or circumstances: to love completely. I will take it a step further and say that you love the people around you exactly for who they are, and exactly for who they aren’t.

It is really easy to start pointing out what is wrong in the relationships around us. But it seems that I have been given a lesson in something that I have not been given in a long time. A long time ago, I was taught what love is and what loving people is truly about. Yes it hurts sometimes, but the warmth that you get from loving people to death far exceeds the cold sting you receive from the natural law that people will leave you. And by the way, there is nothing wrong with that.

I was taught during this time that there are no boundaries to your love. You either do, or you don’t. There are no conditions. There are no limits. It is purely unconditional.

When I came out of this part of my life, I wanted to be a man who no matter what could love the people around him. A man that people could just know that there was unbelievable warmth in his arms…and would go to him no matter what. That despite their suffering, their path, their past, their failures or anything else…they could come to me for one of the things I stand for…love. But I closed off that valve for a while…and in effect, that closed off me.

Running at 2/3’rds speed.

I realize now, at 4:45am…that that short diversion on the path I was on taught me something that I will probably never forget. I wasn’t put here on this planet to have any valve on this unconditional love I possess. I wasn’t put here to show nothing short of a fiery passion. And I wasn’t put here to do anything but strive…and often fail…but never quit.

A problem identified…is a situation that can be fixed.

Unconditional Love. Fiery Passion. Never Quitting.

Please Join My Dream https://www.facebook.com/BetterManProject

reyeslovegood
    November 25, 2012 at 4:50 am

Reblogged this on reyeslovegood ü and commented:
    Reblogging this wonderful post to inspire my readers. 🙂

fransiweinstein
    November 25, 2012 at 4:59 am

Yes, we owe it to ourselves to give it our all. To hold nothing back. When we do, we do ourselves a disservice. And I’ve discovered there can be pleasure in pain (not referring to Fifty Shades of anything 🙂 )

lapoetaflor
    November 25, 2012 at 5:36 am

Don’t forget that the most important person you can give that unconditional love to first is yourself.

katrinaedwards
    November 25, 2012 at 5:47 am

a distraction to your dream…

jmgoyder
    November 25, 2012 at 5:56 am

Yeeha!

Suzicue
    November 25, 2012 at 6:37 am

I find for that what I can’t do in my human-ness (and there are some things), the eternal spark in me is capable of doing it through me.

hashimeansbridge
    November 25, 2012 at 6:56 am

Generally for me as well, profound realizations happen during the wee hours…

kphoenix1
    November 25, 2012 at 8:50 am

Love this blog!

noordinaryjoy61
    November 25, 2012 at 10:19 am

Love this! It should be every person’s goal.

Lilly Sue
    November 25, 2012 at 11:09 am

I love that quote and picture….and what you wrote was beautiful. I have the desire and determination to never quit but I often fail at unconditional love. It is a hard thing to completely let your guard down and allow someone in…but it is the only way to truly love 🙂

Pink Ninjabi
    November 25, 2012 at 12:23 pm

I really needed this reminder to love no matter what. To not turn off that valve, even if others run cold. It’s not about them or what I get, it’s about me and understanding myself. Thank you so very much. Yet again, how inspirational. Your blog has also helped me along into Week 5 Phase 2 of Jamie Eason’s Live Fit 12 Week body building.com workout, so thank you! What an impact. Thank you.

Pink Ninjabi
    November 25, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Reblogged this on Pink Ninjabi and commented:
    Sum of my life… (optional)

Merry Sleepwalkers
    November 25, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Good luck!

claudiajustsaying
    November 25, 2012 at 2:26 pm

So young and so wise, thanks for the reminder…just saying

Anonymous Blogger
    November 25, 2012 at 2:45 pm

I wasn’t put here on this planet to have any valve on this unconditional love I possess.–
    This brought tears to my eyes.

MJ WAS A CUTIE PIE
    November 25, 2012 at 3:43 pm

So true and beautiful. Thank you for wanting striving to be a better human being. The world needs more people like you to give and show love in a dark world.

terry1954
    November 25, 2012 at 5:32 pm

I loved every word you wrote!!!!!!! strength, love, power, confidence!!!!

Kate2Jack
    November 25, 2012 at 6:51 pm

Reblogged this on nellie78 and commented:
    This spoke volumes to me had to repost

Day (350) – Up at 4am ( The better man project ) | STACEYCOVILL
    November 25, 2012 at 7:15 pm

[…] Day (350) – Up at 4am. […]

DaVida Nature Photography
    November 25, 2012 at 10:38 pm

Evan, thank you for following my blog “My Poetic Spirit”. Strange thing happened the last few days . . . I was trying to go to bed at 4am but my mind would not be quite. During that time, “Unmoored” came into my thoughts, and so I wrote it down. The funny thing is, I am afraid of water, afraid of drowning, and to be on a ship besides! Whoa! To be in the water on a ship with no land in sight is a frightening image for me.

I know in my heart that right now I am just drifting, letting life happen, and I need to change that. The next day when I turned on my computer, I went to your website, and what was there – “Burn the Ships”!!!!

Over Thanksgiving weekend, I started reading your blog, but somehow starting at Jan 2012 didn’t tell me the full story. I started over, at the very beginning. I have finished 2011 and I am now up to and halfway through April 2012. Today I was looking through some of my quotes, and I found this: “Maybe the past is like an anchor holding us back. Maybe you have to let go of who you were to become who you will be.”

I am still drifting, but the message has been received. I can feel the tide rolling in and changing as it comes.

neelkanth
    November 26, 2012 at 12:24 am

So nice.

daisieelizabeth
    November 26, 2012 at 1:03 am

AGAPE: unslefish love of one person to another without sexual implications.

Thats the root word of the LOVE you talk about. The Love that God has for people. He loves us for who we are, who He had made us to be, what we can become when He is the one we cling onto.
    He is great and He is blessing you tremendously with revealing to you whats in your heart! He is all over your writings even if you don’t see it… I def do.

Blessings to you from our Lord!
    Praying for the publishing of your book and the deepening of your person… I been there trying to seek who I was once and I am joyful at who I found!

Lapiskamay
    November 26, 2012 at 4:57 am

i like to cliff dive right now. thanks for this very nice post! u a good man.

A. S. Ellis
    November 26, 2012 at 8:29 am

My father used to say, “Love is an act of the will.” And it is, or it isn’t love. Shakespeare said it this way: “Love is not love which altereth when it alteration finds.”

I am so pleased to have been introduced to your blog. You are on a path I am striving just to get on, let alone follow.

Thank you.

Hailey Crawford
    November 26, 2012 at 9:09 am

Wow! What a beautiful post! I truly enjoyed reading this and felt inspired to say the least.One of my all time favorite quotes is “Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.” I couldn’t believe in this quote more and I wish more people lived by this.

Maeve
    November 26, 2012 at 10:33 am

I love your blog! This is fantastic! Do you create these images yourself? I’d love to reblog some of them, with your permission.

transitionstande
    November 26, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Powerful post! Well done for getting up and writing it.

Mo
    November 26, 2012 at 4:41 pm

I gather my best thoughts at 4-5am too! I thought I was the only goof writing at 5am!

breadcrumble1
    November 27, 2012 at 2:11 am

A problem identified…is a situation that can be fixed. Too right you are

Najihah
    November 27, 2012 at 5:44 am

My first reading this and I’m stuck with you. So much love and heart for your commitment and fiery passion.

Be well and update more soon. <3

mrwiggletoe
    November 27, 2012 at 6:58 am

Reblogged this on mrwiggletoe and commented:
    I, too, find myself up late at night recently. And I’ve come to a similar epiphany that you’re so elegantly described herein. Thanks for the inspirational blog. And, I hope to strive to become a better person by striving to provide unconditional love.

Rene Yoshi
    November 29, 2012 at 10:10 am

A beautiful post. One of the things on my heart is the matter of intimacy. Unconditional love is one thing, but in order for intimacy to occur in any relationship, love must be reciprocated.

gimmesmiles
    December 1, 2012 at 1:46 am

Reblogged this on Thoughts and Photographs. and commented:
    Courage.

Share-turday: Day (350) – Up at 4am. Reblogged From The Better Man Project. « karlitoweb
    December 1, 2012 at 8:21 am

[…] Read More atDay (350) – Up at 4am « The Better Man Project. […]

kessington
    December 1, 2012 at 6:59 pm

“A problem identified…is a situation that can be fixed.” LOVE this! great post

myjourneymyrules
    December 3, 2012 at 10:58 am

You’re a smart man, and I enjoy reading about your inspiring journey. Keep it up…. I wish there were more around just like you!