Tripping Over First Base

When I was 12-years-old, our baseball team was hands-down amazing. We actually just barely lost to the team that won the Little League World Series that year. Needless to say, we were very good. Right before I was about to start a game, we were doing pitching drills and I fancied myself as a pretty good player. I was the last one to go and ran my way over to first base, caught the ball nonchalantly and went to go step on the bag without looking. Let me tell you, the big guy up above us proceeded to teach me a lesson I will never forget. I didn’t just trip over first base–I ate it and fell flat on my face. After I got out of the pile of dust I created, I had to wipe myself off. Needless to say, it was humiliation and dust combined. It was in that moment that I learned one of the greatest lessons of my life. Never…ever…be cocky.

Someone asked me the question the other day, “what do you think makes a good man?” Well, I am sure I could come up with a whole list of things, but one of the biggest things is to maintain humility. I think cockiness is one of the most unattractive attributes possible in a person. In fact, I apologize in advance to the ladies in the world for the guys you confront who are full of themselves, because I can’t even spend time around that kind of stuff. Most of the time, we have to talk about what we are doing rather than just doing it. This is because we need some sort of recognition. I think that lesson is part of the one that I learned falling on the ground that day long ago. Let your game speak and everything else will fall into place. If you are great, people will be able to see it no matter what. You don’t need to tell everyone how great you are to make it true.

There is a difference between arrogance and being proud of who you are. Often times, that difference will get muddled up by those who perceive you differently.  Just remember that arrogance is insecurity in disguise. Now, when people pay you compliments, you don’t have to deny them or say that they are untrue. All you really have to say is thank you. I honestly will never forget that lesson I learned at the baseball field that day because I felt like such a piece of junk. I’ll never forget the feeling of standing up in front of all of my friends and seeing them laughing at me.

I still have my jersey from those days. One day I will frame it, because that day was and still is incredibly important to me. It reminds me to stay grounded in all that I do.

Please Join My Dream https://www.facebook.com/BetterManProject

khrystleraine
    November 20, 2012 at 1:17 pm

Reblogged this on khrystleraineduste and commented:
    So true…

Lorna's Voice
    November 20, 2012 at 2:00 pm

I couldn’t agree with you more. To be truly humble is a gift. It means you’ve let of your ego and can accept all possibilities with equanimity. That is very difficult to do.

iggandfriends
    November 20, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Been there, done that… thanks for sharing 🙂

hashimeansbridge
    November 20, 2012 at 3:42 pm

True, I’ve always believed the same thing – that arrogance is a mask for insecurity.

christiebea29
    November 20, 2012 at 5:43 pm

Great story!! I like your thoughts, and yeah, cocky, no thanks. But I vote “entitled” as my least favorite personality trait award. 😉
    AND thanks very much for following my new project Happy Bea!!

Mark Bradshaw
    November 20, 2012 at 5:44 pm

If you hadn’t stopped by to read my blog I wouldn’t have stumbled on yours. A good reminder that us men shouldn’t trip all over ourselves. Thanks.

Polysyllabic Profundities
    November 20, 2012 at 5:48 pm

Humility is highly under-rated. Thank you for reminding people about this very important lesson….and frame that jersey….what a great reminder.

landrewchalmers
    November 20, 2012 at 8:04 pm

Awesome post!

A Dog With Fleas
    November 20, 2012 at 8:20 pm

I just had this same conversation with a male friend of mine who was very cocky. And I too believe it comes from having a low self-esteem. Great and timely post. There is nothing attractive at all by a cocky individual; whether they are male or female.

jenlefeverwood
    November 21, 2012 at 8:02 am

There is a fine line between cockiness and confidence! I agree with you.. I cannot stand arrogance! It is unattractive in both men and women! It’s funny, too, because people who are cocky and/or arrogant think that they come off as the ultimate confident, but for those of us that know better, know that it’s all an act. This is a good post about humility. To be humble truly is a virtue! Thank you for sharing.
    ~ Jen

gatesitter
    November 21, 2012 at 8:26 am

Great lesson,and so well told.

qualitee
    November 21, 2012 at 8:58 am

So true! Thanks for your inspirational blogs.

Andrea Kelly
    November 21, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Oh what a great lesson – I love the way you look back at such situations and continue to find inspiration from them, and pass it on to others.

And so true, cockiness really is such an unattractive trait!

Rene Yoshi
    November 22, 2012 at 5:16 am

So much good stuff in your writings! I’m a quote lover, too, and I am definitely gleaning some from you. Thank you.

kjer26