How You See

I’ve never seen myself as someone who was blessed with unbelievable amounts of talent. When I played sports, I had to work really hard. When sports ended and I went into the gym…I had to work even harder. And life didn’t come easy. So what did I take away from all of this? Evan, talent only will take you so far…the thing that will make you different from everyone else…is your work ethic.

Come to think of it, I would rather things come to me the hard way rather than the easy way. It makes all your sacrifice and dedication worth it. When things just come to you…you don’t know the value of having to work for something. I will take the path I have gone down a million times to none.

There have been a lot of times I have been asked, “How have you found something each and every day to write about?” My answer most of the time is “How could you not?” This is where the passionately curious part comes into play. I think I am just really interested in how people work, what makes people unmotivated or inspired, and what switches to pull to get them going. That fires me up. When people are down and I can bring their mind into a better place. I knew that I wanted to do something with my life based around this idea…and after the book, hopefully I will be able to speak to people. That would be a dream come true.

I literally just caught onto why so many self-help books drive me crazy. It is like some guy who has “made it” is talking at you and telling you how to live your life. I never want to “make it.” Because once I settle down into that, I will be afraid to lose it all. If there is one thing I can promise you, it’s that I will be right here every single day talking to you…instead of at you. I will be dumping it all out and it will never be inauthentic. I want to spark discussions…not participate in listening sessions. That is what is going to turn this whole ship around for us. Talking to each other and understanding one another. Without that…we don’t have a shot. As long as you are looking for an equation for happiness or success…you will be unhappy and unfulfilled. I won’t give you an equation, but I will give you support. In my book, that is much more valuable.

Please Join My DreamΒ https://www.facebook.com/BetterManProject

30 Comments

greenlightlady
    November 17, 2012 at 10:55 pm

“Go be you.” is short, sweet and wise!
    Blessings ~ Wendy

untetherednunbroken
    November 18, 2012 at 12:25 am

All I know is this… When you finally unburden yourself from who you think you should be, you become who you were meant to be… It’s an amazing process and one you are well on your way toward. Thanks for the inspiration. Peace.

stephenie
    November 18, 2012 at 1:55 am

Really good points made here. We always compare ourselves to others and usually thays the great and the good. Very rarely we ‘mark’ ourselves against what we percieve as failures. The lucky people in life are those who feel fulfilled and they are probably not rich, successful, notable etc. They are probably JUST regular people.

Cake Stories by Lauren
    November 18, 2012 at 2:14 am

I love the idea of being passionately curious – it is the essence of what it is to live life, rather than being swept along with it…..!

fyeahnic
    November 18, 2012 at 3:06 am

This is so true, “I think I am just really interested in how people work, what makes people unmotivated or inspired, and what switches to pull to get them going. ” I think exactly like that, when I look at people I just want to understand how they work, and when they are motivated, find something to motivate them.

Don’t give up on learning new stuff!

You should read my post about TEDxYouth Day Singapore Talks that have inspired me! It was just yesterday, please feel free to comment. http://flypegasusfly.wordpress.com/2012/11/17/048-tedxyouth-day-singapore-2012/

Natalie
    November 18, 2012 at 4:44 am

Reblogged this on Parted Only By Ocean and commented:
    Add your thoughts here… (optional)

Sheila
    November 18, 2012 at 5:31 am

Love this post today. Thank you. Stay you…that is all we ask! πŸ™‚

dianasschwenk
    November 18, 2012 at 5:32 am

perhaps your talent is relating with people and writing about it! I too love that you are curious.

Ace Arcanum
    November 18, 2012 at 6:51 am

If all people were the same, then observing would just be a waste of time. Each of us is different from each other. And that makes life interesting.

Lead Our Lives
    November 18, 2012 at 6:58 am

Whatever you choose does not have to be hard to be effective – for yourself or for those who continue to be inspired by your wisdom. Yet, there is the masculine energy to honor in your process of creating challenges for yourself. Go be you…indeed. πŸ˜‰

hashimeansbridge
    November 18, 2012 at 7:33 am

Ha! I’ve saved the exact same image off pinterest on my cell phone. Although I agree with all of the points you made, I have to admit self-help books are a kind of guilty pleasure for me. I sometimes agree, but also like to read them and argue my side in my head or in the margins while reading πŸ˜›

Marvin John
    November 18, 2012 at 8:21 am

i completely agree with your last three sentences of this post, and ell else above πŸ™‚

Hidden Passions
    November 18, 2012 at 11:21 am

Great perspective!

Almanac of Style
    November 18, 2012 at 12:07 pm

Great post, well said!

Dew Drops
    November 18, 2012 at 1:51 pm

The vedic seers, in the Vedanta, strongly drive the importance of delayed gratification. Vedanta says what comes to us easily as pleasure, more often than not, evenually brings pain and what appears difficult and painful in the beginning brings true joy if one keeps at it. This is expailed very well keeping in mind the pleasures from the senses and the desires in the matter (body, mind and intellect) which is transient and a finate end; and the joy within the spirit (which is permanent) is infinite and ever lastint.

I am Amber Hear Me Roar
    November 18, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Reblogged this on Amber's Word.

Keizick
    November 18, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Reblogged this on Shadow in the Mirror and commented:
    More beautiful words from Evan. I just enjoy it so much.

Andrea Kelly
    November 18, 2012 at 5:11 pm

“When you aren’t afraid of being who you are…you almost start gleaming. People will be able to tell…trust me. Go be you.”

So true. I love this.

noordinaryjoy61
    November 18, 2012 at 5:41 pm

“I would rather things come to me the hard way rather than the easy way. It makes all your sacrifice and dedication worth it. When things just come to you…you don’t know the value of having to work for something. I will take the path I have gone down a million times to none.”

I couldn’t agree more.

tornadoday
    November 18, 2012 at 6:15 pm

Ahhhhh, you got it!!! Be yourself for that is where your expertise lies, and once you embrace that, you can’t help but love who you are…….which makes everyone else wonder what they’re missing………. Just shine!!!! ~ Love, Bobbie

theanonymoustraveller
    November 18, 2012 at 6:59 pm

couldn’t agree more my friend. keep writing. keep inspiring. keep learning. that’s all we can do. much love.

kaejae11
    November 18, 2012 at 9:50 pm

Exist to shine πŸ™‚

mytchiemitch
    November 18, 2012 at 9:56 pm

true words spoken

dawndancers
    November 19, 2012 at 2:56 am

A Very positive and inspiring post! Clare

ly
    November 19, 2012 at 4:49 am

Your work tells us what you see, your insight, and how the world works for you allowing us to apply it as we will to our own lives…and thank you for that.

Ai
    November 19, 2012 at 6:41 am

Reblogged this on Kith and Kin : The Sisters Grinn and commented:
    My father has spent my whole life telling me that no one cares about my self esteem, I have to create it and maintain it myself. It should not come from what I accomplish, or the praise I receive from others, but from my own satisfaction with the amount of time and effort I spent on the project – whatever it may be. I might still be struggling with that ideal, still hoping that I am worthy of praise from others, still desperate to finish the project to some one else’s standards, but I am also capable of saying to myself, today, I worked hard, I tried my best, and that is an accomplishment in itself.

Super Sweet Blogging Award and Blogger of the Year Award 2012 « Susartandfood's Blog
    November 23, 2012 at 3:48 pm

[…] from the Bartolini kitchens Happiness Stan Lives Here Things my Belly Likes Meg Travels The Better Man Project Bam’s Kitchen The Wanderlust Gene Cooking in Sens The Struggler’s Handbook Yummy Lummy […]

susartandfood
    November 23, 2012 at 3:57 pm

I have nominated you for several awards, The Super Sweet Blogging Award and the Blogger of the Year 2012. If you’re interested, please check out the following link http://susartandfood.wordpress.com/2012/11/23/super-sweet-blogging-award-and-blogger- of-the-year-award-2012/