Don’t Take It

In this fantastic book I read a long time ago, one of the biggest lessons was to not take anything personally. The argument was, that people’s opinions, interpretations, and thoughts are purely of their own creation, and they really have nothing to do with you at all. He wasn’t arguing for stubbornness, but rather giving what comes out of other people’s mouths a pinch of concern, and then deciding what you are for yourself. If you spend your life listening to what other people think of you, then you will never ask yourself “What do I want to be?”

Now, I fully agree with his argument, but I do have a small side note that I would like to present. When you are attempting to be something, your community is one of the best mirrors you can possibly have. By community, I mean the people you come into contact with. If you trying to be a motivating, inspirational person who pushes love instead of hate, but everyone around you thinks you’re a jerk, there is a massive disconnect. So you have to pay attention to what people say about you to some degree, because it is your greatest learning opportunity. However, don’t take it personally…as in you are an awful person. Rather, take it as constructive criticism. We all have things we need to work on, and I truly believe that if you keep your ears open, you will be presented with a lot of learning opportunities.

Remember, listen to a degree. It is like a little bit of a gut check to see if you are on the right path. Once you have reached that checkpoint, go right back on your way. But always make sure to check in. The worst possible thing to happen is think you are doing all this great stuff and then wake up one day completely miserable. Your friends and your family are there for a reason. Use them up. They love you to death.

Please Join My DreamΒ https://www.facebook.com/BetterManProject

• Charron's Chatter
    November 4, 2012 at 6:29 pm

A nice definition of perspective. πŸ™‚

• 23missb
    November 4, 2012 at 8:12 pm

Don’t take anything personally… From the 4 Agreements?

• ryan
    November 4, 2012 at 10:45 pm

Reblogged this on Ry24's Weblog.

• cmsaunders
    November 4, 2012 at 11:55 pm

Great post, I completely agree. Most people are just out to serve themselves. Personally, while I am happy to accept constructive criticism, I try to march to the beat of my own drum, and let others march to theirs.

• 42silly24
    November 5, 2012 at 1:03 am

Reblogged this on Simply.Interested.In.Living.Life.Young. and commented:
    I love this quote! it’s going up in my room next semester!

• smile breathe and go slowly
    November 5, 2012 at 2:27 am

ahhh the Four Agreements..one of my favorites πŸ™‚

• lazypuffhead
    November 5, 2012 at 5:56 am

The art of not taking it personally is great fun to practice!

• ruleofstupid
    November 5, 2012 at 7:14 am

This is spot on – It’s the middle path between being ruled by others and trying to rule others – self-rule.
    Great post

• Tiffany
    November 5, 2012 at 7:46 am

Great reminder!

• mindinterrupted
    November 5, 2012 at 11:05 am

Beautifully said. I have trouble sometimes taking constructive criticism, but I work on it.

• Day (328) – Don’t Take It | The Pensive Word
    November 5, 2012 at 12:36 pm

[…] Day (328) – Don’t Take It. […]

• heysugarsugar
    November 5, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Reblogged this on heysugarsugar.

• jumpingpolarbear
    November 5, 2012 at 1:32 pm

I have to learn to focus on my self and not what other people think of me :).

• Healthy Happy Holy
    November 6, 2012 at 9:48 am

Thanks for sharing! This is so true. If you let others comments’ ruin your day/week/month, you will never reach the true “you” you want to be. Also, couldn’t agree more about relying on friends and family. Well said!

• Debbie / Daqa
    November 6, 2012 at 11:54 am

So right! The part of “don’t take anything personally” is often used as an excuse for people (both the one who critisizes and the one being critisized!) to not have to take other peoples feeling into account. It is used as an excuse to be rude or to continue doing what they do, despite knowing it offends/hurts others.

Also, the thing that annoys people the most in other people is often something they do themselves too, or something you have difficulty doing. (An extreme example: Someone (X) is annoyed by a loud, selfcentered person (Y) with a big ego. Is Y really like that, or is it just that X is very shy and uncertain themselves and is always taking care of others and never for him/herself? Maybe X thinks his/her way is best (be modest, think of others first) or maybe X would like to be selfassured, outgoing and in the spotlights for once too? Or both?

The reason behind the reason, the question behind the question.

(Not a native English speaker here, so might not have used the right/exact words).

• dawndancers
    November 7, 2012 at 10:09 am

Great post, I shall give this a read

• thehumpedzebra
    November 7, 2012 at 10:52 am

amazing post, these words couldn’t have come at a better time

• The Second Mind, Part II « White Hot Truth
    November 12, 2012 at 1:12 am

[…] discovered this great picture on The Better Man Project’s blog (http://thebettermanprojects.wordpress.com/2012/11/04/day-328-dont-take-it/) while searching for something clever related to this post. (Read his blog, it’s […]

• Andrea Kelly
    November 12, 2012 at 7:42 pm

So true! This is a great reminder.

• Ready to start your own journey of personal discovery + growth + happiness?! Want my book "Two Wolves" for FREE? Join over 4,000 others, get access to my book, motivational emails and great resources designed to help you create your best life!