4 a.m.

My dreams were so profound tonight that they actually woke me up. So here I am, 4 am, writing. Apparently, there is no better time to put words down onto paper.

It is hard to describe the feeling I have had inside me this past week with writing the last pieces of the book, reading through it multiple times, and hearing back from a couple of my friends who have asked for the opportunity to read it. Hearing some of their comments about what I have written is humbling. I never really even considered things like “being a good writer” or “phenomenal style” etc. It’s not because I don’t believe in my writing. It’s because when I started putting the words to paper, I was committed to something far greater in my mind. I was committed to being as vulnerable as I could and to becoming the person who I truly knew I was inside. When thousands of people started reading along with me, I only judged my success here in this blog by my ability to connect with the hearts of my readers. Nothing more. Nothing less.

One of the coolest things about writing is that you get that chance. You are given the chance to move people, often of times, move people who across the entire world from you. Then, you get to hear from them. Some of the comments I have received are nothing short of amazing. I am trying my best to get to all of them.

About 6 months ago, for the first time I legitimately had the thought of turning this blog into a book. After months and months of reading and editing, I sent off the final product to my amazing editor yesterday afternoon. What a feeling that was. But the feeling I have had in my stomach is a combination of disbelief and excitement. I can sit down and literally say, “I have done it. I have written something.” It really is an incredible experience. What is also amazing is the fact that this is happening so quickly. You will see the final product, most likely, during January or February of this upcoming year. That just blows my mind.

So what’s the message here? The message is whatever your dream is, go for it. But sometimes, on our path towards achieving goals we have set, we get lost, and find something better along the way. There is no doubt in my mind that this is what I want to be doing. And you can expect that I will give you nothing short of the best I can. Don’t die wondering what you could have done. A few years ago, I nervously started patting away at the keys trying to keep my internal voice from shaking while writing. But when you stick with something, it makes you better…and then you become better at what you are doing.

Give yourself permission to bloom.

Join My Dream 🙂 https://www.facebook.com/BetterManProject

• Charlotte Elizabeth Davies
    October 18, 2012 at 4:39 am

Very Very True! Love the post and good luck with your book! Charlotte.

• Muhammad Faysal
    October 18, 2012 at 4:41 am

Wisdom.

• dba12
    October 18, 2012 at 4:45 am

It’s totally true… All the best with your book…

• reluctantwritergirl
    October 18, 2012 at 4:51 am

congratulations! that must be such a feeling of accomplishment and like you can take on the world. i feel inspired! thank you!

• whereisset
    October 18, 2012 at 5:00 am

Hi Evan,
    This is so great to hear, that again someone followed his dream, believed in it and wanted to do something which makes him happy!
    I know exactly how you feel. I did a number of studies and jobs and in-between jobs, never finding that piece. Always there was something stirring in me, making me feel restless and empty. In my private life there were a numbers of life events which also asked for attention. Until June last year, I broke down, it was like my body and my mind had enough of it, because I didn’t listen, I became very ill. But I listened to myself and finally gave in. After painting then and now for several years, I again took my brush and my creativity started to ‘bloom’ and sprout. From painting, I started to draw, to create things and I just recently started as a visual artist. Well it is amazing, last year I never could have imagined that this month my art objects will be shown at a auction and as I delivered them, I felt so many emotions and one of them was, proud as you might feel! Success with your book and keep on blooming!

• thebettermanprojects
      October 18, 2012 at 6:16 pm

Bravo for you doing what you love! That is great. I am very very happy for you. Sometimes, we have to break down into building ourselves up!

Please Join My Dream 🙂 https://www.facebook.com/BetterManProject

• whereisset
        October 19, 2012 at 5:33 am

So very true! Thank you for sharing and letting the rest of the world, learn.

• Sahm Ataine King
    October 18, 2012 at 5:18 am

I don’t know why, but this piece is summoning tears from my eyes… You are an embodiment of courage, Mr. Sanders. 🙂

• kikicutey
    October 18, 2012 at 7:05 am

Congratulations!

After one post I am already enamored – wish I had more time today to roam your mind.

Thank you for stopping by, I will definitely be peeping in on your world.

• Ebonie
    October 18, 2012 at 7:26 am

Reblogged this on Decorate Your Soul and commented:
    Thought this was quite inspiring…

• nicoyagirl77
    October 18, 2012 at 7:46 am

thats awesome!!

• beautifulhello
    October 18, 2012 at 7:46 am

congratulations Evan! that’s a life milestone for sure! keep up the good work and keep inspiring people! you’re doing awesome!

Emily Jeffords

• Bethany
    October 18, 2012 at 8:04 am

Congratulations on finishing your book! I have witnessed in my own life as well that once I surrender to pursuing a goal with sincerity and passion, somewhere along the way it transforms into something much more amazing than I could have imagined at the start. Great post, thank you!

• Michael D Davis
    October 18, 2012 at 8:40 am

Kudos my friend. Continue being that voice of inspiration that enter twines the thoughtful comments from other readers, and writers, to your blog. I look forward to reading more, feeling more and sharing more of my own experiences through the encouragement you provide. – MDD

• Kozo Hattori
    October 18, 2012 at 9:13 am

Congratulations, Evan. I look forward to reading your book. You are an example and inspiration to all of us bloggers in cyberspace. “The Force is strong in this one.”

• 10000hourstobe
    October 18, 2012 at 9:47 am

Your words are very moving. Thanks for this post, it is so encouraging.

• Brigitt´s Lounge
    October 18, 2012 at 9:49 am

Great post! Keep the good work! 😉

• Matt Walker
    October 18, 2012 at 11:22 am

After reading this Evan, I feel like I’m 300 or so days behind you in the journey. Great way of describing how it happens here in WordPress and you definitely hit the nail on the head! Great work and I look forward to visiting more of your blog.

• Day (313) – 4 a.m. « Only-By-C
    October 18, 2012 at 11:35 am

[…] Day (313) – 4 a.m.. Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:LikeBe the first to like this. […]

• requeterebe
    October 18, 2012 at 12:03 pm

I love your blog, Thanks for liking my post, it gives me the chance of knowing yours

• theahardy
    October 18, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Wow, extremely inspiring! I have no doubt that your book will be the upmost reflection of how you think/feel/do, just as your blog. I often have dreams that are powerful enough to catapult me out of a deep sleep. I used to write about them immediately, before I lost them forever. I think I’ll start that up again. I look forward to keeping up with your progress.
    Thea

• thebettermanprojects
      October 18, 2012 at 6:00 pm

thank you! I see that you do public relations and advertising in san diego! I am in san francisco! I would love to chat with you actually about some ideas for a book launch. Let me know if you are down. Leave a message here!

Please Join My Dream 🙂 https://www.facebook.com/BetterManProject

• harri8here
    October 19, 2012 at 12:12 am

Wow! You certainly have walked the talk. Inspirational.
    Congratulations. Hope it takes you down exciting, enriching paths, no … glorious boulevards!

• requeterebe
    October 19, 2012 at 6:21 am

Reblogged this on DO-RE-BE-CA and commented:
    inspiring…

• creationsbycathy
    October 19, 2012 at 10:04 am

Your thoughts are remarkably clear and very motivatng for something taking place at 4:00 in the morning!! Thanks for the inspiration…!

• dragonkatet
    October 19, 2012 at 10:24 am

Kudos to you, Evan. But you’re not done, ya know. You have many, many more words inside! I’m happy to see that you seem to have retained a humble attitude and I think you know why that is important. Ego and ego strokes are great, but they are not the best reasons to write. Please don’t let success spoil you and thanks for being such an inspiration to writers/bloggers everywhere. 🙂 I wish you the very best of luck with your dream and admire your courage in following it!

• Merryn Padgett
    October 22, 2012 at 4:35 am

Evan that is so beautifully written!! And oh so true. Dare to dream, believe in yourself, and celebrate the gift of achievement!

• sarahlong00
    October 25, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Going for your dream seems like such a simple thing, yet so many people get scared away by it- so good for you for achieving your goal! I just wanted to let you know I like this post so much I nominated it for the Passionate Communicator Award. I I totally understand if you don’t accept these things, but just wanted to put it out there for you 🙂

• "raw. electric. a daily shock to the soul."

Join hundreds of thousands of dreamers. Sign up for free to receive straight fire and motivation into your inbox daily!