The Test

I always knew it was going to happen, I just didn’t really know when. As the big guy would have it, he would make it happen on my birthday. How did I react? Just how I wanted to…actually, exactly what is in line with what I believe in. There is no doubt in my mind that if I didn’t know what I stood for, that this whole situation would have gone completely different. So, the event occurred, right in front of my eyes, the last thing of my past that I knew had to be cleaned up…and I did it with respect. The details don’t belong here, but the message does. There is always a way of doing things with respect. It may not be viewed by society as “macho” but let’s be honest, that doesn’t even matter.

We are tested in the occasions that truly magnify our character. If you have bad character, it will come out. If you have good character, it will show. What had happened a long time ago to cause the whole situation in the first place was a massive violation of trust and respect against me involved with secrecy…which eventually leaked. My hands were shaking when I heard. But I bounced right back, and recovered. I forgave in my heart, and moved on. But there was always that chance of a final encounter, and that was what happened last night. My heart didn’t even elevate…I was calm…and I was myself. In the end, that is all that you can ask for right?

After it was all over, I felt like a gigantic weight had been lifted off my shoulders. And this feeling drives me to talk to everybody today about something incredibly important. I learned way back when, that if you don’t clean up things in your past, you will drag them into the present. Unfortunately, we all tend to do this, and it is a damn shame because it really screws things up for us. We take a perfectly good day and mess it up because we have failed to do the dirty work. When you sweep things under the carpet, they are still under the carpet. Don’t forget that.

Believe in yourself and who you are. Everything else will fall into place

• Sarah Myers
    July 4, 2012 at 7:31 pm

Well said, well written, well done. A message we all need to hear.

• Cdn Stormlover
    July 4, 2012 at 7:50 pm

Very poignant and profound. I related to this post so much. Would you mind if I reblogged?
    Thanks,
    Lee

• Margarita
    July 4, 2012 at 8:19 pm

Congratulations!

• arbonne1
    July 4, 2012 at 9:56 pm

Reblogged this on arbonne1 and commented:
    I love your way of seeing life! You will succeed in anything you do… When you have the power and confidence to change your comfort zone (which is sometimes quite difficult) even if it’s horrible, you realize how life is important and to live it fully! I hope you will reach out to all those who just can’t change their way of life even if they’re miserable…

• Give.Love.Live.More
    July 4, 2012 at 9:58 pm

Bro, I hear you 100%. Character is something that you can learn, but it must be authentic. I, too, have recently experienced the opportunity to forgive. It was an awesome experience. I never knew I was capable of such a powerful decision. I say decision, because, we all have the power to forgive. For me, my heart was ready to forgive. I knew that I couldn’t continue any further in life without turning around and cutting loose the baggage that I was dragging along by my ankles. How it all came about is neither here nor there, but I am still awed by the experience of it all. Wow.

Keep writing, man. The world is always in need of “Better Men.” Love & Peace.

Herbie

• The Wandering Mind
    July 4, 2012 at 10:04 pm

Reblogged this on The Wandering Mind and commented:
    We all have that “moment” and how we choose to deal with it says a lot about who we are & where we can potentially go. Always be ready, so that you never have to get ready when that moment comes.

• Marsha J. O'Brien
    July 4, 2012 at 11:05 pm

Proud of you. Those characteristics in you are to me what make a man, a REAL MAN . Wonderful post.

• Stuartart
    July 5, 2012 at 1:50 am

Good advice Evan, I’m glad it worked out for you. 🙂

• Gian Carlo ♥ the Daydreamer
    July 5, 2012 at 2:16 am

I think I just know what happened in the past. hehehe. this is a very great advice. thank you! 🙂

• Cdn Stormlover
    July 5, 2012 at 5:41 am

Reblogged this on Life In The Dash Lane (1962 – ?) and commented:
    As Evan states in this very profound and poignant blog “if you don’t clean up things in your past, you will drag them into the present”.
    If you’ve ever messed up at some point in your life, please read this blog. It might help put things into perspective.

• brianwilliamsen
    July 5, 2012 at 7:21 am

Needed to hear this today…thanks for posting it and blessings to you.

• Cyrille
    July 5, 2012 at 7:52 am

Reblogged this on Life, in Reverse and commented:
    “If you don’t clean up things in your past, you will drag them into the present… We take a perfectly good day and mess it up because we have failed to do the dirty work. When you sweep things under the carpet, they are still under the carpet.Don’t forget that.” – Evan Sanders

• Cyrille
    July 5, 2012 at 7:53 am

Thanks for this timely, insightful and honest post. Reblogged it on Life, in Reverse.

• HopefulHellion
    July 20, 2012 at 11:17 am

I couldn’t agree more. And as far as what is “manly” – I’ve always held that it takes a lot more courage, and is a lot more “manly” to take the high road.