Colors

To start this post off, I just wanted to say that I successfully made it across the stage and graduated yesterday. It is one of the coolest feelings to have finally made it through college and be on with the next step of my life. Absolutely unreal. I spent last night having a blast with some of the coolest people I know, and the day with the family was just great. I couldn’t have asked for a better evening. Today…I wan to talk about our true colors.

I believe that the world is full of color, rather than being black and white. People are made of color, situations are made of many different colors, and our decisions are made of color. I was once told a long time ago that in time, those who are around you will reveal their true selves to you. This can go both ways. People can reveal amazing things to you…and people can reveal things that weren’t apparent from the beginning. In short, there are a lot of times when masks are worn. Don’t get me wrong, they are colorful, but we all have masks that we try to hide behind sometimes.

I was asked a few days ago about this project and answered about how it started of course, but then got down to the true reason for all of this writing. It is about looking at my life every single day, acknowledging the masks that may or may not be worn during that day, being completely vulnerable right off the bat with people about who I am, what my dreams are, who I am seeking to become, and then extracting every single learning point I possibly can out of the day. This writing for me is like note-taking for my life. I get a chance to sit down and really take a look at what happened throughout the course of the day and what I can learn from it. I don’t there is a better way for me to do it.

I have been learning from my mistakes. Over the past couple of weeks, there have been some significant challenges. However, I have bounced back and gained the motivation it takes to really make some great changes. The other day I talked about respect…and it also for me really comes down to gaining the respect of other people. Having the character that people will respect. I honestly think that my writing may confuse or “freak out” (I really have no better word for this…make wary?) people who semi know me. I don’t really mess around here. What I am up to in this life is inspiring other people in the world to live and breathe a powerful and inspiring life. That warrants a great amount of honesty and vulnerability here. Also, it yields completely different results than what other people are currently getting. I really want to be surrounded by a great group of people throughout my life…and right now I have some amazing amazing people walking with me. I know that there are people out there who could be amazing friends with me…but instead of checking in with me as a person…they check in with my writing. There is nothing wrong with this of course, I appreciate it for what it is, and at the right time, maybe we could become really good friends. You’ll know when.

My writing is about bridging gaps and crossing societal boundaries. I want to get into the things that make me tick, that drive me, that make me fall into slumps. I want to hear from people who have things that they are dealing with because we all are dealing with them. No one is baggage free. Everyone shows up to the game with some sort of baggage. But the only way to cut down on that baggage is by talking about it. It is about acknowledging that you have those 2, 3, 5, 10 bags that you are carrying with you to the ticket counter. The airline is going to charge you up the wazoo, don’t add to your insanity by not admitting they aren’t your bags.

The past week or so because school was finished for me I had an interesting rut that I fell into. It was disguised as nerves about college graduation, jobs, etc…but I dug and dug to the core of it. I was comparing myself to an idea. It’s never really been a thing for me to go out and party hard. But in the light of graduation, I would go out with my friends (I still took it easy no worries). But I would see everyone in the crowd doing the same thing. I would see what they were trying to accomplish…and for some reason (I wasn’t thinking straight) I compared myself to that idea…to that crowd drive. It took me a few days because that idea snowballed a bit, but in the end, I sit here going “I don’t want any of that.” That is not on my radar and it is certainly not the way I want to do things. Because in that scene, there’s really no true feeling. It’s all a mask. My god is it colorful…but they aren’t people s true colors. The colors are washed out or manipulated.

I want to be a man who people know exactly what they are going to get. From me, you are going to get love, passion, and a never quitting attitude. This may not be for everyone…but thats okay. It is the route I have decided to take in my life…and I am giving it my all. I am putting everything I have into this. I expect the obstacles and the hardships, but in the end I know there will be major personal success. People will see the banners  of my life, and they will see true colors.

Please Join the Dream https://www.facebook.com/BetterManProject

• juwannadoright
    June 17, 2012 at 9:44 am

Congratulations, Evan and all best wishes for the future.

• togetherone
    June 17, 2012 at 9:44 am

congrats on your graduation. infinite possibilities with infinite colors. al true to self.

• Frances antoinette
    June 17, 2012 at 2:16 pm

In the theme of graduation and finding that career, yes, sometimes people wear masks when they interview for the job. But I’ve found that when interviewing for graduate school and employment, letting my true colors shine through my credentials is what helped me achieve what I already have. Good luck in your endeavors.

• Doris
    June 17, 2012 at 4:40 pm

Congratulations!! Good post, love it. I fully understand this post, we do hide in mask, but we should always show our true colors, no matter what. Glad you are.

• Candy S
    June 17, 2012 at 6:24 pm

Congratulations! Blessings in abundance for all your future endeavors!

• ellie mack
    June 18, 2012 at 5:25 am

Congratulations Evan! I know you are going to have a great future.
    “I want to be a man who people know exactly what they are going to get. From me, you are going to get love, passion, and a never quitting attitude.” This statement right here – is the attitude that drew me to your blog, and the reason I know that you’ll succeed in whatever you set your mind to! All the best to you in this next step!

• nwukshukokai
    June 18, 2012 at 5:46 am

Really enjoyed this post, as I have many others in your blog before it. I really liked the idea of everything being full of colour. Even when I’m having a pretty regular day I like to enjoy all the little moments and drink in all that ‘color’ that is around us.

I think you’ve got the right attitude as well in being honest to yourself and showing that honesty to others. I think you open yourself up to some great interactions with people when you show that honesty and openness.

Really enjoy your blog Evan, keep strong mate.

• djpixc
    June 18, 2012 at 5:50 am

“My god is it colorful…but they aren’t people s true colors. The colors are washed out or manipulated.”

so true, I’m a raver and that is exactly how it looks there, but I sometimes get a few people away from the scene and realise they have still got some good colours going on, hope you’re next steps are just as successful 🙂

• My Pursuit of Perfection
    June 18, 2012 at 6:54 am

Congratulations Evan!!

All the best.

Vic

• Walking 4 Air
    June 18, 2012 at 7:27 am

Congratulations Evan! I am graduating on Wednedsay this week (I am 37 and started studying part-time 5 years ago) and I have a feeling I am going to have feelings much like you. Savour those moments, they are what make life truly amazing!

• thirtystory
    June 18, 2012 at 7:30 am

Congrats on graduating! It’s great to be onto the next step of this journey – i’m sure you will continue to figure even more out about yourself as you go!

• scarletwings
    June 20, 2012 at 2:50 pm

congrats on graduating! ur writings add a new perspective to my life 🙂 thanks!

• DiamondHospitality
    June 21, 2012 at 9:23 pm

Congratulations!

I graduated last month so I TOTALLY understand. I have a post about it in my blog, if you are interested.

Keep doing what you do!

~Erica

• scoliogurl
    July 24, 2012 at 11:22 am

Congrats on graduating!

• thedizzyworld
    July 24, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Congratulations! The tone and quality of your posts is very encouraging. It brings hope for the future of today’s youth. Keep up the admirable effort!

• areebakafeel
    July 25, 2012 at 12:45 am

It’s great that in this materialistic world you don’t actually have a covetous ambition (like being rich or successful or famous or whatsoever) but you aim to be a ‘better man’ which is far above than all such worldly crap. But just want to say one thing (I might be wrong) being better man doesn’t mean you can’t live life at the fullest, i mean… its ok if you goof around sometimes, be silly, be naughty, be crazy….be young! 🙂

• mysearch4wisdom
    July 25, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Congrats on graduation. Life’s milestones and rights of passage really have a way of putting things in perspective. I’ve enjoyed reading your blog. Keep up the good work.

• Apolymoxic
    July 25, 2012 at 7:28 pm

Congratulations on graduating! And I love this post.

• shermangerherd
    July 27, 2012 at 10:34 am

Good luck on the new chapter of life. Advice: Find work you like, or else die a thousand deaths.

• adayinthelifeoflittleme
    September 5, 2012 at 11:08 am

Wow! I just finished reading your post and I think it’s really inspirational. Thank you for following my blog and I hope I’ll find my true colors in this next part of my life as well 🙂

• oldsunbird
    October 5, 2012 at 6:18 am

Congratulations, Evan, on your graduation. I wish you success and many blessings on your new journey.

• fallcorn1936
    October 5, 2012 at 4:05 pm

Interesting concept. Great blog. Thanks for stopping by my blog

• Andrea W. Doray
    October 5, 2012 at 6:11 pm

Congratulations, Evan! Best wishes as you proceed into your new adventures. I’m thrilled to see your “day-by-day” blog and I’m thrilled that you are on Day 224! Thanks for following my blog; I plan to use your blog as inspiration for more reflective postings. I’m only on Day 2, so wish me luck! 🙂 Cheers!

• doronart
    October 7, 2012 at 6:16 am

Evan good writing, thank you for visiting my Blog. I very much enjoy reading your post. No one have to wear masks in our life, just be truely who we are. No one is perfect and it cost nothing to say sorry when you do something wrong as long as you learn from it. It is easy to respect and accept others and together we should make it a better world for everybody! and there is plenty work to do…

• SnakeBit Sal
    October 8, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Colors may be deceiving, your choices in life might not be colored to let you know which way to go. Black and White seems dull but may be what you have to use when making serious chioces. Being in the second half of lifes journey I still seem to come upon choices annd know I’ll have plenty more to make.
    Take life slowly, enjoy the good times, persevere thru the muddle and forget the bad as quickly as you can and remember the lessons each teaches you!

BTW …. thanks for following my blog!

• Memory Catcher
    October 8, 2012 at 6:45 pm

I totally agree. The world is in color! Be the person you are inside. Congratulations! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I look forward to reading more.

• Toad
    October 8, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Reblogged this on thisoldtoad and commented:
    I’m glad to be part of a group, street life is sometimes isolated at it’s best!
    Toad

• optimisticgladness
    October 9, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Great blog. I too want to be the one to cheer others on, to lift them up, to help them achieve their dreams. That’s what it about!

• Cheri L.
    October 11, 2012 at 2:26 am

You have a great concept here. Keep going and may your colors always be pure and bright. Thanks for following The Brass Rag. We look forward to hearing more from you soon. Meanwhile, happy writing!

• burgessart
    October 11, 2012 at 4:34 am

Love how BE….ing Better infects everyone you come in contact with. Continue spreading the virus and thanks for following my blogs. Best wishes, Robert

• amyfrancesjonann@hotmal.com
    October 12, 2012 at 4:02 pm

You are so ahead of your time, most people don’t come to this conclusion until later in their lives… can’t wait to hear more. Congrats on graduating!

• theINFP
    October 13, 2012 at 12:00 am

You are an inspiration, Evan, I look forward to reading more of your insights. Thank you checking out my blog. Robert.

• pdinspire
    October 17, 2012 at 8:20 pm

Hi Evan,
    Nice blog. I can just above recall when I was all new and just a bit more confused about life than I actually comfortable with holding my baggage thinking I’ll never be able to afford the journey cost. Well I can tell you that I’m a lot older now and I like the confusion it makes life interesting and the bags are actually full of totally awesome really useful stuff. You just don’t know how useful till you need the stuff, you dip and discover just what or who you need.
    Have a smile on me.
    Thanks for the post.

• Repost from thebetterman blog «
    October 17, 2012 at 8:55 pm

[…] Day (224) – Colors. Share this:Like this:LikeBe the first to like this. This entry was posted in Expression. […]

• patporcaro
    October 18, 2012 at 1:04 am

Thank you for following my blog-after visiting your site, I realize you will probably appreciate the “Jesse” poem. Patricia

• 3615cha
    October 18, 2012 at 5:05 am

I like your post and your courage as being truly honest even hidden behind the cloud is the hardest. I feel like some things of mine should be hidden because they would be too hard to hear, that people don’t want to acknowledge that they exist; at the moment i am trying to think about how to express them in a hidden or semi-hidden way. I’m going to keep reading your blog, very inspirational.

• Lorna's Voice
    October 18, 2012 at 5:24 am

Love the picture since I’m a color-crazy, too! Congrats on graduating!

• TomboyTam
    October 18, 2012 at 11:29 am

Thanks for checking out my blog, Evan. I think we are on similar journeys, even though we are at different life stages and paths. Congratulations on your your graduation from college and for your insights and wisdom much earlier in your life than I did in mine. I graduated from college with my bachelor’s degree at the age of 35 and had four kids at that time, and I wasn’t evolved in my self-awareness at that time as you seem to be now.
    That is what makes us all so interesting – different paths, different stages of our journeys and different life experiences. And how cool that they all intersect and impact each other in moments and years, online and in person. Wishing you the very best in your exploration!

• thebettermanprojects
      October 18, 2012 at 6:03 pm

You definitely overcome some serious adversity! That is quite impressive. I love different paths. We should share ours sometimes.

Please Join My Dream 🙂 https://www.facebook.com/BetterManProject

• marymc0511
      October 24, 2012 at 10:36 am

Tomboy Tam, I was reading through the blogs and came to yours. I am 42 yrs old and now attending college. do you have any advice that i might be able to get from you. i am very excited about finally going to college however i am very intimidated at the same time. i am older in a younger croud. looking forward to sharing with you.
      Thanks, Mary

• jeaniel47
    October 19, 2012 at 10:55 am

Congrats on all of you accomplishments and hard work to get there. I love your thought process and honestly.

• writelovelive.com
    October 20, 2012 at 10:59 pm

This is beautiful. I’m already inspired to follow your blog, and look forward to more thoughts shared ahead. I’d love to hear more about this philosophy , I think we have some aligned thoughts about the world and the people in it.

• Sophie Sansregret
    October 21, 2012 at 12:11 am

Beautiful post! I look forward to following this blog!
    Soph.

• kuriatnyk1
    October 22, 2012 at 11:57 am

Congratulations Evan!.. Keep dreaming and keep getting back up!

• marissawu
    October 23, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Great personal manifesto

• Yaveyca Maddox
    October 23, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Congrats on your Graduation!!! Let’s get it!

• ladyelenauk
    October 24, 2012 at 7:31 am

The world needs more people like you….. Lots more.

• womencyclists
    October 24, 2012 at 7:57 am

Congrats on graduating! And, I think it’s awesome that you are so reflective! Thanks for stopping by my blog and following–I look forward to reading more on your blog!

• Day (224) – Colors | marymc0511
    October 24, 2012 at 10:43 am

[…] Day (224) – Colors. […]

• marymc0511
    October 24, 2012 at 10:45 am

Congratulations, Evan on your graduation. i Truely look forward to mine as well. Sometimes i really wonder if i will make it. I feel like i am in someone elses world. i however am trying to make it mine. Very difficult for me to do. I really like what you wrote about colors i think the analogy is great and i to see and understand what you are talking about. hiding behind masks. i do it and i am sure every one does to some point. i do it as a form of protection. You see i havn’t had that great of a life. in fact it was not a good past however i am trying to overcome it. thanks for sharing your thoughts.
    Mary

• bluerabbit
    October 24, 2012 at 11:55 am

What a wonderful project! This is an important year for you. Handle it not perfectly but well enough.

• JanBeek
    October 24, 2012 at 6:54 pm

I like your blog title – and your quest to become “the better man.” It’s well worth the struggle – and I can see you are not anticipating that it always will be easy. I hope you find strength in your decision to use “this writing for … note-taking for [your] life.” As you “sit down and really take a look at what happened throughout the course of the day,” may your reflections be a catalyst for “learn[ing] from it.” I look forward to following the learning process with you – and mutually sharing. Thanks for visiting JanBeek and helping me become acquainted with you in the process. God Bless You!

• lostnmythoughts
    October 24, 2012 at 6:58 pm

I love it!!!

• bettysnuggets
    October 24, 2012 at 9:30 pm

Congratulations, Evan, on your new phase of life. When I think about colors, I think of the rainbow. I wrote about the promise of the rainbow. I would like to share the last of it.
    I look out my window. The rain has stopped, and the birds are singing. Even though the clouds are still overhead, I know that, somewhere, there is a rainbow. I know that because God gave that promise to Noah.
    I think that one reason for the rainbow was God’s way of comforting those early people. He knew that when it rained, they would be frightened in thinking that another flood would happen. That promise gave hope, gave something to look forward to.
    Perhaps another reason for the rainbow is to show me that while I am held in a prison of bad times, God turns it into a prism, revealing the beautiful colors. Colors that enhance my experience with Him. Colors that reveal the blessings that He brings. Colors that help others to see not only my rainbow but the “pot of gold” – the benefits of the rain.
    I become vibrant because of tough times. I know that such rains will not flood and destroy me but will make me stronger to face future life issues.
    I am thankful that black is not part of the rainbow. I need not experience bitterness, confusion, distrust, hopelessness, sorrow and grief. Instead, I feel contented knowing that God is at work. The colors of my rainbow not only benefit me but others that are experiencing the “rain.”
    Evan, may the experiences of life make you vibrant and transparent. May you seek God’s plans for your future. May you be a blessing and help to those who cross your path. May you find contentment when happiness has left.

• valeriejrouthieaux
    October 25, 2012 at 10:58 pm

Congratulations on your graduation. You are a very thought provoking person. You put a lot into this blog, which is more an article by it’s length. I liked your mention that we all wear masks at times. I realized that some years ago, and made an effort to remove my mask so people would see the real me. I know I’ve slipped it on again from time to time, especially around people I don’t know.

I have one suggestion with your writing – before you post anything, read through it to make certain you didn’t accidentally omit anything. You have a few missing words, no doubt due to your excitement over your graduation. I felt that excitement running through your blog. Good luck in your future.

• cherinow
    October 26, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Congratulations. Hope someone gives you a new box of crayons so you can continue to color your world.

• henrywest
    October 27, 2012 at 6:01 am

One constant I have found while on this planet is that every decade gets better. Appreciating and understanding the ebb and flow makes us all better people. You’ll be surprised.
    By the way Thanks for following my post.

• Evelyn
    October 27, 2012 at 10:25 pm

Congratulations on two things. The first, for graduating because today that is a true challenge if you want to be a real person very much like what you described in your first two paragraphs. The second- welcome to the human race. For those who wear masks I keep a steady sense of humor to handle, especially if it is on the basis of every day encounters. Those who are in your face and honest I bring out my best thoughts and know they are safe with them. Good luck on this quest. It is definitely worth it.

• Mike Limon
    October 29, 2012 at 9:27 am

Hi Evan! Thank you for visiting my blog at mikelimon.wordpress.com,and for becoming a follower of my post. There must be something interesting that you found on my post, and for that, I am glad. Congratulations on your college graduation. I couldn’t agree more with you. People do wear mask and in revealing themselves, the are very picky about whom they choose to do so, and how much they want you to know about them. This is a very good observation on your part. Great piece of writing. I look forward to reading more from you. Thank you.
    Sincerely,
    Mike Limon

• amaryllisturman
    October 29, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Congrats on your graduation and your journey of improvement.

• amaryllisturman
      October 29, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Also, thanks for following my blog.

• peachyteachy
    November 1, 2012 at 5:48 pm

Hey, congrats from a non-traditional graduator! Thanks for the follow–you are exploring some great territory here. Also, I love the Pearl Jam song, “Better Man.”

• kartikasays
    November 1, 2012 at 6:08 pm

Hey Evan, I admire your efforts to become a better man! Thanks for stopping by my blog! 🙂 Best, Kartika

• abstractionsnyc
    November 7, 2012 at 10:17 am

YES!!! Thank you for taking this on!

• "raw. electric. a daily shock to the soul."

Join hundreds of thousands of dreamers. Sign up for free to receive straight fire and motivation into your inbox daily!