Your Life…The Dash

“If you always do what you’ve always done, You’ll always get what you’ve always got.”

At the end of your life, you will (most likely) have a tombstone that says Your name…19.. – 20…

Your whole life will come down to a couple of words and a few numbers. What is often overlooked, however, is the dash. Your life will come down to the dash. Who are you going to be in that dash? Is that dash going to say “I lived scared, I didn’t try hard enough, I let opportunities fly by me.” Or is that dash going to say “I went out with all engines burning.”

I know which I will ย be. I will be that man who hundreds of people show up to celebrate my life, not just a man who had a few to show up to show respect for my family. Begin with the end in mind. This is something that I have been told over and over again by many different people. Often they are talking about visualizing the end goal that is relatively short term. I may have taken it to the extreme, but really isn’t that the end goal? The actual end?

Who do you want to be when everything is all over and done with?

Why do I do what I do? The countless hours of training, reading, studying, creating, visualizing, listening, self-talk, and working? I do this because I want to be the best me I can. My favorite quote in the world is “whatever the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve.” Recently, I have started to visualize my dreams during the day, and I can feel them real within my bones. I will always keep the dash in my mind…and it will make me strive for more.

What will your dash say about you?

• wherethedaytakesme
    April 3, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Something to think about.

• Socs
    April 3, 2012 at 6:57 pm

Isn’t it supposed to be, “whatever the mind can conceive and believe, the body can achieve”? ๐Ÿ™‚

• thebettermanprojects
      April 4, 2012 at 6:14 am

Nope haha. “What the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve” – Napoleon Hill

• Socs
        April 7, 2012 at 3:02 am

Haha! Thanks for that one ๐Ÿ™‚

• Pink Ninjabi
    April 3, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Thank you for this peaceful reminder to keep up with this race of life, no matter how much we trip up, to get back up again, and to keep on moving. Thank you so much. It really helps. :d

• jermj
    April 3, 2012 at 8:27 pm

Reblogged this on jermj.

• rob b
    April 3, 2012 at 9:56 pm

I’ve heard it said that everyone’s life (their dash) will be summed up in one sentence. We can’t actually control what others think or say about us but by writing the sentence that we want to sum up our actions we have a compass to guide all that we do. My sentence?
    “My life’s purpose is to inspire and support others in exceeding their dreams.”
    Write your own. Live your own. Be inspiring!

• mimijk
    April 4, 2012 at 2:18 am

A ‘dash’ sounds too fast (although time passes that way)…I hope I feel that I lived from ‘x through x’ living my beliefs, loving with intensity and knowing joy. Not sure – this is a good post – have to think about it more and reserve my right to come back with an amendment!

• Sharp
    April 4, 2012 at 5:38 am

BRB

that sounds reasonable

• Walking 4 Air
    April 4, 2012 at 6:45 am

Absolutely love that tomb stone! Visualising my dreams is something I do often, feeling the feelings of what it will feel like when I get to realise my dream for real!

It is powerful stuff!!

I, along with you, will also be one of those who go out with my engines blazing! Celebrating life every step of the way… Great post!

• evea192
    April 4, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Stunning? Hit one right where it maters,” What will your dash say about you?” One has to ponder this question.

• stephenedwards425
    April 4, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Awesome post…thank you

Be encouraged!

• Peter Walters
    April 4, 2012 at 6:35 pm

Thanks for the post. Love the picture. One of my favourite tombstones said, “I told you I was sick.”

• jelillie
    April 4, 2012 at 7:38 pm

The 7 habits was one of the most helpful courses I ever took.

• Nikhil Kardale
    April 5, 2012 at 6:31 am

I second that notion. Also, that ‘dash on the tombstone’ was a nice analogy!

• 30 White Llamas
    April 5, 2012 at 8:39 am

Great post – I think we’re just racing ourselves, hence the “mad dash”:)

• dtangle
    April 6, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Reblogged this on wireswilltangle and commented:
    This is truly sensational.

• yourbuddy001
    April 13, 2012 at 8:04 am

I was thinking about “the dash” the other day and left these words for my family.

The strongest instinctual drive we have is to keep on. Keep on living. Keep on breathing. This drive is so strong; we try to keep on even after we die. We arrange memorials in ritual and stone. We try to imagine an afterlife. Even by writing this, I try to interact with those Iโ€™ve left behind one more time.

My passing is a natural thing. Donโ€™t mark my bones with a stone no one will visit. Instead, transform my body to ash and dust and scatter it to the four winds. From the earth I came, to the earth Iโ€™ll return. Donโ€™t slow the process. Allow me to join the earth again.

Remember me when something good reminds you of me. Memorialize me by closing your eyes and breathing deeply once or twice when you smell the hyacinths in the spring. Grin and shake your head when you hear a dog snoring the same way I did at night. When you accomplish something you can be proud of, imagine me being proud of you too.

If you miss me, it means I lived a good life. Be happy for me. Donโ€™t grieve for me. My pain is over. Allow yours to float away on the wind.

• thebettermanprojects
      April 15, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Thank you for your heartfelt message…I really took some time to contemplate your words.

"raw. electric. a daily shock to the soul."

Sign up for free to receive straight fire and motivation into your inbox daily!