A Gentleman

A Gentleman

A gentleman never talks down to women,

A gentleman never talks much about himself,

He always holds the door,

And looks to show respect just a bit more,

A gentleman rarely swears,

And never is involved in affairs,

He stands up for those he loves,

And goes to battle for friends with iron gloves,

A gentleman is always clean,

A gentleman is never mean,

He always holds his temper,

And significantly respects his elder,

A gentleman always looks to improve,

Upon the life he so chooses,

He will not interrupt you when your speaking,

And always listen to you and be thinking,

Always help her put on her coat,

And give her your arm,

Stand up when she enters the room,

And tell her often…she’s more beautiful than the moon,

Chivalry is dead? I think society making people accountable for their actions is dead. If you believe something is important enough, like being a gentleman, you will be one. Who cares if people laugh at you, giving others the utmost respect is all that matters. The art of being a gentleman is lost amongst my generation…and I am going to make a personal effort to revive it. This is why I don’t go out and party. I can’t stand seeing guys treat girls poorly. It actually really bugs me. My grandfather once told me, “If someone ever hurts a woman you love in your life, you make sure they know to never do that again.” I believe in that. Back in the day, if you even insulted someones significant other, you would get knocked right on your can. That is accountability at its finest. Nowadays, people can say almost anything and get away with it. There is something wrong with that.

I think being good to everyone is one of the most important things in the world. With kindness and respect, things can truly transform. I choose to live in this type of world…by living my life in that way.

Evan

• stephenedwards425
    March 15, 2012 at 8:54 am

Hi Evan,

Loved the comment “I think society making people accountable for their actions is dead” was priceless. I couldn’t agree more.

So how do we change things?

By living our lives exactly the way the poem describes. We plant the seeds…just keep planting.

Be encouraged.

• Claire Cappetta
    March 15, 2012 at 9:05 am

I truly love the post and the sentiments. My husband does most of every thing in the poem, but when I get a little excited, usually on the phone I pace and the poor guy would be like a jack in box if he stood up every time I entered the room!

• mimijk
    March 15, 2012 at 9:24 am

Bravo! I think the decision to live our lives with integrity and grace, respect and appreciation is gender-blind. Loved your post!

• Bellakentuky
    March 15, 2012 at 9:37 am

I like the way you roll my friend. Kent

• mypostcardsfromhome
    March 15, 2012 at 9:39 am

Love it! Perhaps I missed it . . . did you write this or is there a reference to the poet?

I plan to keep it and pass the sentiments along to my two boys so I can raise them to be gentlemen!

• finally_write
    March 15, 2012 at 9:42 am

“I think society making people accountable for their actions is dead.”

That is so, so true, and so very sad.. So much for civilization.

• Tahereh Barati
    March 15, 2012 at 9:43 am

I agree with you. We, as a society, have lost our sense of accountability and responsibility. We need to make every effort collectively to revive the lost concepts such these. Thanks for initiating the conversation!

• scarletwings
    March 15, 2012 at 10:19 am

Evan, a wonderful post. I thought that gentlemen were going instinct only in my part of the world ( Pakistan) but it seems its something happening all over the world….

in the past 8 years i have met and known only one gentleman, one of my alevels teacher…and oh what an amazing person he is..a true gentleman like the verses you wrote above

• wheniwasalad
    March 15, 2012 at 11:02 am

I take your sentiment here but I’m afraid all the chivalry in the world will not make one ounce of difference to the young people I work with. I often hold doors open, for male and female, we are talking 17, 18, 19 years olds, its just a thing I was brought up to do.

And what to I get for that? Nothing, no thank you’s, maybe sniggering at something so quaint, and sometimes downright hostile looks, oh and the reverse happens, if I’m coming up to a door no one holds it open they just let it go as I’m walking through.

Respect is a word that is now buried in the past, along with courtesy and yes chivalry, I don’t even say good morning because most of the young today are plugged into some gadget with music playing and are, in effect, walking zombies.

• robincoyle
    March 15, 2012 at 11:21 am

I’ll all for women’s rights but women’s lib had a hand in killing chivalry.

• Heather Whitley Gibson
    March 15, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Great post!

• Tiegra
    March 15, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Reblogged this on Between Earth and Moon and commented:
    Alas, no gentlemen nowadays!

• 1stpeaksteve
    March 15, 2012 at 4:11 pm

There is one line that is also kind of overlooked these days and it is so small yet speaks volumes. That is swearing. For some odd reason, people see it as being a sign of being strong and being opinionated. It is really the opposite. It is a method for the non-thinking person to express themselves. People who frequently curse often curse in front of the wrong audience as well. They will curse with children nearby or your grandmother. They are uncaring. They curse just for the sake of cursing in their blogs to appear edgey.

My father never cursed and one day I got him so mad he dropped the f-bomb. Believe me…I knew I screwed up! If when speaks and every other word is an obscenity, then your curse words have no weight or impact. You can only shock someone a few times before it is old hat.

Enough of my ranting!

Good post and keep up the self improvement!

• just kristy
    March 15, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Thank you! I love the gentleman in my life and that he opens doors, helps me put my coat on, and never says an unkind word about anyone.

• Vikki (The View Outside)
    March 16, 2012 at 1:00 am

Can you tell me where I can find one? 😉

xx

• Rachel Jones
    March 16, 2012 at 6:41 am

Wonderful, well said. The gentlemen of today’s world need more recognition and respect than they currently get. Their impact on others can be great and happy.

Rae

• handstitch
    March 17, 2012 at 6:24 am

Sad fact yet a great reminder. My boy is a gentleman and will be. It takes one to make a change. Number multiplies like a bunny 😀

• Spinster
    March 17, 2012 at 8:15 am

Gonna re-blog this.

• Spinster
    March 17, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Reblogged this on Spinster's Compass and commented:
    I’ve discussed something along these lines in my post “10 Things I Hate About You” http://spinsterscompass.wordpress.com/2011/07/08/10thingsihateaboutyou/ because one of my pet peeves about this country (or, at least, where I reside in this country) is the rudeness of the people. What I didn’t add to that post (but should have as a bonus) is the lack of chivalry. Most people think of Britons as proper, polite, & posh, but that hasn’t always been my experience. I can’t count the amount of times that I’ve offered my seat to an elderly person on public transportation while no man blinked an eye, or the times that I’ve helped an elderly person carry something while no man blinked an eye, or the times that a pregnant woman needed help or a seat and no man blinked an eye. I’ve seen women help way more often than men.

But maybe this blogger is on to something. Maybe “society making people accountable for their actions is dead.” What do you think? Is chivalry dead in your part of the world? If so, on what do you blame its death? If chivalry isn’t dead in your part of the world, where the hell do you live so that I can move there? 😐

• T J
    March 18, 2012 at 12:29 am

Reblogged this on Ms Opinionated and commented:
    “I think society making people accountable for their actions is dead.” Never a truer word spoken. Good on you Evan. I appreciate your efforts and here’s hoping they’re contagious.

• In Defense of Chivalry « Paul's Blog
    March 21, 2012 at 9:43 am

[…] Day (171) – A Gentleman (thebettermanprojects.wordpress.com) […]

• Klaus Kommoss
    April 10, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Oscar Wilde once said: A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone’s feelings unintentionally. I think that contains the more realistic aspect of the definition of a gentleman. A gentleman has the courage and the self secureness to decide for himself when to be kind and when to be mean.

• singleworkingmomswm
    April 11, 2012 at 12:29 pm

I appreciate the entire premise behind both your blog, itself, and this post. One person begets more than one person. Change starts from within.

"raw. electric. a daily shock to the soul."

Join hundreds of thousands of dreamers. Sign up for free to receive straight fire and motivation into your inbox daily!